Notices

Alcoholism

Old 03-12-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism

Hello everybody, would just like to extend any gratitude for a welcome from any user! I am 21 and a university student about 2 months from finishing my course!

My story:

Well over the past year I have drank in excessive amounts compared to any other year. My biggest issue is binge drinking. At first it didnt seem to bad, I was just another student on a night out. But over the year it got worse.

After summer just gone (around July/August) I began drinking excessive amounts over multiple days. It come to the point where I would be binge drinking for two maybe three days on the run, coming home from nights out at bars. Recently it happened again, and I have now finally opened my eyes to the situation.

I thought I never had a true problem. In the past I always felt the reason was for emotional support and perhaps courage and a way to have fun. But the weekend just gone, I had two days of binge drinking for no reason. It was just for the hell of it, I didnt feel upset or like I needed courage.

After all this, I have realised tonight that this problem will not go away. I cannot simply lower my in take and control it. I have to give this up one and for all. Alcohol is too dangerous in my life. I have felt physically worse and mentally over the year, nearly slipping into depression.

Enough is enough, I have decided it is time to take sobriety. I want to change my life forever, and that is why I am here!

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, I just couldnt seem to stop typing!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, you will find a very supportive bunch of ppl here all going through similar struggles, as I have stated on another thread I would definately have drank by now if it wasnt for the support I have had on here. Read some posts, join the Class of March ...you have made the right choice asking for help, best wishes and good luck to you, we help each other and dont judge
Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im 5 days sober
Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Recognizing a problem is the first step towards a solution.

I am 5 days ahead of you on the sobriety but nearly 40 years behind you in recognizing the problem. I can tell you from experience that you don't even want to go there.

You can do it. Just take each day, one at a time.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Welcome NedStark. That's great that you can realize what is going on while you are so young.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind replies! I am ready for this road, and everybody else has my support as well. In this together.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you found us and I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Ned

D
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome, Ned!

You're gonna find some great support here!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. It's good that you're doing something about your drinking while you're still so young. You'll have far fewer regrets when you're older if you take care of this problem now.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I am feeling much more upbeat now I have signed up and posted my thoughts!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was you about 10 years ago. The only difference is that I was not wise enough to see the error of my ways. You are. My issues progressed and only caused more problems. It's good that you are recognizing it early and taking steps to avoid a long, hard road!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad to meet you Ned. It's good to not be alone anymore & to have others to share our thoughts with. No one in my life understood my addiction. When I came here I found the courage to change my life. You can do this!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are going through the progression of alcoholic illness friend. Like others have said, you are wise to stop now. I wasted a lot of years because I wouldn't stop where you are. I let the disease control me. Not the best use of the gift of life. Have you ever been to AA?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't be sorry

Originally Posted by NedStark View Post
I had two days of binge drinking for no reason. It was just for the hell of it, I didnt feel upset or like I needed courage.

Alcohol is too dangerous in my life. I have felt physically worse and mentally over the year, nearly slipping into depression.

Enough is enough, I have decided it is time to take sobriety. I want to change my life forever, and that is why I am here!

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, I just couldnt seem to stop typing!
Well good for you to take notice of the impact that alcohol is having on your life and for doing something about it.

You will be able to come here and talk about it and ask questions and respond to others' posts. It is a good way to find out more and to learn about yourself in the process totally anonymously.

I know it's confusing to you why you have been doing this, but it is a good time to do a little soul searching. I think we have reasons why we drink and those very reasons are the reasons why we continue to drink, so this is why it is important to understand the source of what has driven you to it. It's not just about ending the consumption of alcohol, it's about taking care of yourself mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually.

Congrats on coming on here and no need to apologize.

Feel free to contact me if you wish.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Ned xxx
Old 03-13-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have just gotten home after a long day at university. Have a lot of time off on a Thursday so I get a lot of time to think to myself. I was constantly questioning my decision and just thinking of the impact it will have on my life.

But coming on here to read this thread again has made me feel 100 times better, and that is probably an understatement. Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and kind words. It's reminded me of why I am doing this, to better myself and to live my life and be the best person I can! I am greatful to be here to speak to you all!

I am sorry to hear how badly alcohol has affected you all. I am also here for anybody as well, thank you all.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I'm glad you came back, Ned.

It may make a big impact on your life but you are doing this for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Ned So good to have you on board with us
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It certainly will be, but I am ready for it!

Thank you, glad to be here!