Notices

No Saint Patty's Day Regret

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

"I have so many friends that drink, many are responsible drinkers and have designated drivers and/or are fine with just having one or two drinks. I wish I had that much control."

Compass, I don't think it's a question of your friends having better control than you do. You're just wired differently than they are. Alcohol just affects your body and brain differently. I liken it to an allergy. One person could be stung by a bee and be rushed to the ER gasping for breath. Another would say "ouch" and carry on.

I also looked at being around drinkers as a challenge to overcome. I did see my friends and hang out at the local bar early on, and didn't drink. I quit in July 2012 and still had a hard time with St. Patrick's Day the following March-it might be too big of a challenge this fast.

Your addictive voice will tell you once you're there "you only just quit, what's the difference if you start again tomorrow and have fun tonight? One last hurrah? You're Irish after all, what a great date for your last night of drinking..." and on and on. Everything is about drinking at most St. Pat's celebrations.

I think as time goes on you may be able to be around drinkers, but you might be surprised at how bored you'll get. I see my drinking friends in small doses these days, or meet them for dinner instead where we can actually talk...