Notices

No Saint Patty's Day Regret

Old 03-12-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
To be content

@ Aarryckha Leprechaun movies sounds awesome, that's a good idea. Enjoy your laughs!

@ purpleknight....you should not say Guinness...I loooooove Guinness. Evil, just Evil. Just kidding. Well not the I love Guinness part. You know if someone could make a non-alcoholic Guinness that would really help me out. I am half Irish-German. I am also very jealous of your fishing in England that sounds like a great St. Patty's Day. What kind of fish will you be catching?

Thanks again for all your responses. It is so nice to hear everyones wise advice, and that we are not alone in this. Best regards to all!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Flyfishing all the way, mainly brown trout and salmon, though in some of the lakes we'll be visiting potentially some rainbow trout and on the coastal rivers sea trout!!

My dad (who died of alcoholism) taught me how to fish and tie my own flies, I guess it's ironic that fishing is the hobby I've rekindled since becoming Sober, filling all that time I used to spend drinking was important, so on those dark winter nights I stayed in tying flies in preparation for the new fishing season.

Really looking forward to it, haven't seen some of my english friends in ages, plus getting out in the fresh air amongst lakes and rivers I've never fished before is always exciting!!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To be content

Sorry to hear about your father purpleknight. Nice that you could share flyfishing together and learn from him. It is wonderful that tying flies help you with sobriety. You are one lucky man on St. Patty's Day.

I also love flyfishing. I haven't done as much lately, but did quite a bit with my father in Idaho and Wyoming. They are still ice fishing where I live Think the ice is still couple feet thick here. The guys I go to school with have a brew night every week. One of the guys has 4 fly tying clamps drilled through the kitchen table. Brewing and fly tying. They are a fun bunch, but maybe I will just be fishing with the guys now. For me that is what is hardest about not drinking is missing out on events I enjoyed. My mind always focuses on the fun part of it and not the consequences.

If people are still reading, did many of you have trouble with your memory, clarity, train of thought? Since I quit 12 days ago I thought my mind would be very clear, but I have a hard time concentrating? I know that it is listed as a side effect of quitting, but I am wondering how common it is and if it can last a long time? I haven't been a heavy drinker for the last 14 years more of a binge drinker, with bouts of heavy drinking. The last two years, however I rarely miss a night, and it is common I blackout.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Compass7 View Post
If people are still reading, did many of you have trouble with your memory, clarity, train of thought? Since I quit 12 days ago I thought my mind would be very clear, but I have a hard time concentrating? I know that it is listed as a side effect of quitting, but I am wondering how common it is and if it can last a long time? I haven't been a heavy drinker for the last 14 years more of a binge drinker, with bouts of heavy drinking. The last two years, however I rarely miss a night, and it is common I blackout.
Oh my gosh, yes! My mind is so fuzzy. I'm having trouble concentrating and putting thoughts together. It's really frustrating.

The thing I try to keep in my fuzzy mind is I've been sober for 11 days. I drank for more than 11 days. My body needs time to get back to normal.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To be content

Have you read up on it? Wonder if it's because our mind is thinking about having a drink, chemical changes in our bodies, both?

I feel so shameful about posting embarrassing things, but I seriously worry that I have hurt my mind with the falls I have taken while drunk. Concussions etc.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can relate to this post. This sunday I have a mandatory wine tasting to attend for my job.

Its not mandatory that I have to taste but its mandatory that I attend.

I know everyone will be drinking and I will be tempted but gotta say no. I love wine. Only good wine though.

Congrats compass on 12 days.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree with many of the thoughts already shared.

Alcohol issues and their ramifications typically take weeks, months, years to develop and just as long to reverse. Until you've had more time to work on yourself, it's best to politely pass and maybe think of some good excuses.

I wish you the best!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To be content

Thank you Jade. You sound very strong about saying no, that would be hard for me too. Sometimes I find it so easy to follow others and the comfort alcohol gives me with social anxiety. Hard to break away from the majority, but I know I can still have fun without the alcohol.

Enjoy your mandatory wine tasting, without tasting! Be strong!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
I can relate to this post. This sunday I have a mandatory wine tasting to attend for my job.

Its not mandatory that I have to taste but its mandatory that I attend.

I know everyone will be drinking and I will be tempted but gotta say no. I love wine. Only good wine though.

Congrats compass on 12 days.
Oh wow, Jade. That's gotta be tough. At least it's not mandatory to drink.

Try keeping a glass of something non-alcoholic in your hand at all times. You can do it!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

The fuzziness definitely gets better

D
Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Have you read up on it? Wonder if it's because our mind is thinking about having a drink, chemical changes in our bodies, both?

I feel so shameful about posting embarrassing things, but I seriously worry that I have hurt my mind with the falls I have taken while drunk. Concussions etc.
No, I haven't. I've gotten some info from a guy here on the board when I had some weird stuff going on. This was the thread I had started. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ensations.html

I'm trying to be patient. It's going to take time for our body chemistry to get to normal. Have you seen a doctor?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you Jade. You sound very strong about saying no, that would be hard for me too. Sometimes I find it so easy to follow others and the comfort alcohol gives me with social anxiety. Hard to break away from the majority, but I know I can still have fun without the alcohol.

Enjoy your mandatory wine tasting, without tasting! Be strong!
This is true for me too about going out with friends. Its not necessarily that I feel awkward tellin people I dont drink (I find that most people dont really care or they'll be like good for you! i need to stop drinking too).

Its just that I go out sometimes with coworkers or friends and they all get wasted. All the time. People like my age and older... 30s or 40s it doesn't matter. I feel like everyone in sb drinks. I dont go out every night but surrounded by all these drinking and partying peeps i sometimes feel like i dont have a problem.

But ive realized that its a problem for ME because I dont like how I feel the next day. So regardless of what everyone else is doing - consuming more than me or going out way more than me- its still my problem and I cant compare myself to others.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
To be content

Thank you for the response and advice Wildcat. The ramifications may not be positive, but it still helps me understand what maybe to come. Have a great night.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

But thats a lesson that took me a LONG time to learn.... and still learning basically.

And just because I am responsible and my life doesn't suck doesn't give me the right to drink more.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
To be content

@ Aarrychka - sorry I can't get quote button to work. I haven't been to the doctor yet. I don't have insurance, but will soon. Course the money I spent on liquor I could use to pay to go to the doctor. I will take a look at the thread you attached. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

No problem. EndGame is has a wealth of information. It made me feel better about the things that are going on in my body.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
To be content

I just read it. Makes me feel a lot better too. I get facial numbness along with the weird memory problems. I think that it relates to my anxiety and breathing. I tend to shallow breath when I get anxious in general or when I want to drink. This has been a big relief to read your thread.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

The whole disembodied thing freaked me out. I still get the same sensation just not near as bad.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
To be content

Maybe that means you are getting better It freaks me out too. Have a good night Aarryckha!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Thanks! You too!