Notices

How honest do I need to be?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

How honest do I need to be?

I am seeing a new doctor in about 2 hours. She will be my general practitioner/internist, whatever. I really want to come clean about my alcohol abuse which has been going on since 2009. I've have sober periods of time but I'm still struggling. I think I should tell her because it might affect my health care and/or help with diagnosing any issues I may have. I don't know of any except my high blood glucose at this point. But anyway, I've found that in the health care system the way that everything goes into a central database now that every Tom, Dick, and Harry that has access to that database can pull up my entire medical history and that would include my issues with alcohol that maybe not every person needs to know about. Cutting to the chase I don't want my privacy compromised and I think the HIPPAA rule is a big joke. My common sense tells me to share everything with a doctor if I want to get the best possible care and treatment but I have reservations. What would you do or what have you done?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would tell my doctor IF he promised to keep it off my record. I trust my doctor to do that so it wouldn't be a problem. But if this is a new doctor, perhaps you could tell her that you'd like to confide in her ONLY if she keeps it off your record. If so, then tell her. If not, then don't say anything about it.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I dealt with this yesterday. When I made the appointment, I made it because I was having anxiety. Now, my doctor is freaking awesome! When I went in, I broke down crying and came clean about everything. She (and the med student with her) was so super supportive and I feel so much better telling her about it. When she gave me my check out papers, the diagnosis was anxiety.

Bottom line, I feel so much better having told the truth.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You post is about honesty. So be honest. At some point you may want to quit drinking. Honesty is key in recovery. Why not start now. Tell your doctor about your alcohol use...full disclosure. And if she should suggest quitting...listen.

Regarding your privacy concerns, Personally identifiable information (PII), which health information is, is protected.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a mental illness, or disease. The notion of being ashamed of it is on the way out. Would you hide heart trouble or diabetes from your doctor? Why is alcoholism any different? Alcoholism falls into the medical category of behavioral health, so it's a real thing. Of course it's your choice but part of wellness includes your mental and bodily state, both of which addictive drinking affects. If down the road a doctor can see that you are an alcoholic, they can avoid prescribing certain medications that are addictive, for instance. I agree that honesty is the best policy, and would encourage you not to feel shame over being an alcoholic. If you could control it you would have by now
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

On a practical note, many Health and Life Insurers will request to see your medical records when you apply. Alcohol abuse will typically trigger higher premium rates. If your insurance is fixed, not a problem, but if you're thinking of buying a term insurance policy in the future, I'd take steps to make sure it wasn't in my medical records prior to contracting for the insurance.

My $0.02
Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I would come clean too. Doctors are usually very understanding xx
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is a tough one. I would personally not want that on my medical record if I could help it. (Mine is on my record) Once on there, it stays there and your mental stability, ability to parent, certain jobs, etc. etc. are called into question and it is done so unfairly. So....if I could go back and do over, I would keep that information to myself. If you think you need physical treatment for alcohol abuse then you obviously need to tell your doctor. If not, I would keep it to yourself.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Friend-

If you can't be honest with your doctor, than please realize you need to find a doctor you can be honest, with. It's just that simple. Life is a whole lot easier once you get those proverbial bricks out of your "backpack."
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine is on my record.

I just disclosed it to my new doc as well.

What utter relief.

I guess it would depend on my situation.

Only you can decide what is best for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Thank you EVERYONE for your opinions and some awesome advice. I did decide it's time to be honest and disclosed that I have a history of abusing alcohol. She was very cool about it and while it's in her file in her office, it's not on my public health record. I came clean about my other medical issues and just decided to accept it all for what it is. It's true, I wouldn't want my doctor to not know about my blood glucose problem or if I had heart issues. I feel great today. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

if you want to recover you be totally honest
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I saw that you told your doctor. I would have advised that because I too am dealing with high blood glucose at the moment. I have to go again in six months to have it checked out, again. It is lower than it was when I first stopped drinking but I still need to be vigilant. I hope yours works out.

On a side note, I couldn't keep it a secret from my doctor at this point anyway so I am completely honest with her. She just happened to be the doctor on call when I went in to the emergency room for detox in 2012. Imagine laying there feeling miserable and have your own doctor pull aside the curtain. Oh, hi....
Old 03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I would say have alc issue & that's it. Wouldn't get into dwi or family issues. It's me she's looking @ not everyone else. Bottom line is, I'm there to get help so can take care of others & life
Old 03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very important to be honest with our Drs.
They can only work on the information we provide.

I'm glad you opened up Soul Kat

D
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Every medical professional that I come in contact with knows I'm an alcoholic. How can they treat you unless they don't know you suffer from an underlying disease
Old 03-13-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have never experienced any negative consequences