Notices

Brain Fog...

Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have it too, I went to use the ATM the other day and couldnt remember my PIN. I was on the phone to someone who was doing some jobs for me and I couldnt remember my phone number. Scary stuff, seems its common thank goodness! Try to have a small glass of water every hour

Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Foggy brain syndrome, as I called it, lasted about six months. When we withdraw our bodies go through so much (physically, mentally, emotionally, systemically). I found that hydration levels affected the degree to which I experienced it.
Thought I would post an update on this 24 hours later as I have downed over 2 litres of water today and it's made a BIG difference - thanks for the pointer SoberLeigh!

I had a cluster headache this morning and the slightly debilitating spaced-out, dizzy feeling and by 5pm both had lifted.

I know hydration is important, but I didn't realise that the recommended minimum intake is quite as high as it is until I looked it up.. Body weight in lbs divided by 2 = recommended daily water intake in fl. oz.

Two litres a days from now on it is then..
Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us experience brain fog.
A lot if us seem to underestimate what we put our minds and bodies through as drinkers.

For some it takes longer to lift than others...but it will

D
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good nutrition, plenty of rest, and mild stimulants. Beyond that, you just have to wait things out. My guess is you were foggier in the drinking era than you might recall. I know when I was off-and-on with drinking I had noticeable improvement in mental acuity after 1-2 weeks of sobriety, for most of the time anyway.. Occasionally felt the space-case head thing, but job performance was much better overall.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am 90 days sober tomorrow and I will have anywhere from 2-3 "good" days then a day of just feeling not like myself. In the beginning it was a lot more intense and more like one good day for 3-4 weird feeling days. It's getting better and my resolve is strengthened more and more each time I make it through a rough day. I know what you're talking about though when it's like an out of body experience. I. Basically feel like I can handle anything now and I absolutely refuse to let this addiction define me.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Notmy & Boatdaddy,

I don't know if alcoholics can experience their bottom post-hoc and after quitting, but if so this bring fog is mine.

It has scared the HELL out if me.

Apart from worrying about neurological insult and beating myself up for being so stupid as to abuse my body to this extent, I am starting a new job second week in April. It's going to be mentally demanding and I'm frightened I won't be up to it in time.

However, good to know that it does get better and may get intermittent. This has been such a sobriety kick up the backside for me..