SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My Name is Bill W. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/325390-my-name-bill-w.html)

SevenNuts 03-10-2014 11:47 AM

My Name is Bill W.

Saw the movie. I enjoyed this perspective of the beginning the AA. I get it more. It's more palatable for some reason.

I only wish every meeting in Columbus, Ohio didn't end with the Lord's Prayer. It's a bit ostracizing to non-Christians. I can deal with it though. Most people around here are Christians. I just have to translate "God-talk" into my secular perspective. Just an extra step. I'm sure this has been discussed at length in a forum here.

Sparkos 03-10-2014 11:59 AM

When I attended AA (I don't anymore), I used to stand during the lord's prayer and respect others' beliefs, but not actually say the prayer, and join in for the serenity prayer at the end. It worked for me.

heath480 03-10-2014 12:15 PM

No need to join in the prayer if you don't want to.

I have ever attended an AA meeting in the UK or Ireland where the Lord's Prayer is said.Only the Serenity Prayer,

Kissimee54 03-10-2014 01:32 PM

Some meetings I went to in CA used the Serenity Prayer, or third or seventh step prayer, mostly for those that may not be Christians. Anyway, take what you need from the meetings and leave the rest.

ScottFromWI 03-10-2014 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SevenNuts (Post 4519426)
I only wish every meeting in Columbus, Ohio didn't end with the Lord's Prayer. It's a bit ostracizing to non-Christians.

There is an Agnostic AA group in Columbus ohio. Your wish just came true ;-)

COGF Meeting Locator :: Search Results

Anna 03-10-2014 01:51 PM

Some posts have been removed:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice.

MissKellsbells 03-10-2014 03:04 PM

I'm beginning to realize that it's the big picture that needs to be focused on. The is one very important reason not to sweat the small stuff.

awuh1 03-10-2014 03:20 PM

Yes, learning a bit about the early history really helped me as well. Knowing the context in which the program formed really helped me to let go of some of my assumptions. I can imagine the extra work involved for you at that location though.

On the bright side you can more easily attend founders day and visit Dr. Bobs home. :)

CAPTAINZING2000 03-10-2014 03:25 PM

At the close, here we say for those that care to join us.
The serenity prayer said at meetings is a shortened version of a Christian prayer as well.

FlyerFan 03-10-2014 05:11 PM

Take what YOU NEED and leave the rest. :) Maybe the person next to you in the circle needs that Lord's Prayer. If it isn't for you just don't use it. :) Or say another prayer in your head instead. That's what I do when I attend church with relatives. I am not religious at all, so when they are saying their Christian prayers I recite my AA prayers in my head. :)