Notices

First Continuous 30 Days, How Do I Maintain it?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Continuous 30 Days, How Do I Maintain it?

I managed to reach a continuous 30 day mark off the drink. I did this mostly by keeping myself busy with work and not going out and socializing much. I'm proud of this accomplishment but I believe its going to take more than keeping myself busy to make this sobriety thing stick. I have tried AA in the past and I didn't really feel that it was for me... I get very nervous talking in front of groups and meeting new people, which is why I believe I would binge drink in the past. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Checking in here daily or more - really becoming part of the community - could help Compass1.

For me after I got the not drinking part down, it was all about building a sober life I was happy in?

D
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Compass. You've done 30 days so that proves you can do this now, as you've recognised, it's time to build that sober life. AA works for some people, others choose to do it other ways, I was one of the others. For me it was about building new routines for the time I used to spend drinking and, in the beginning, I spent my evenings glued to SR. I still visit everyday.

You might think about what you want out of life, what would you like to do to achieve your goals -- so have a think about what those goals are. Exercise is an important part of recovery so think about how you can factor that into your day. And whilst you're building a life for you consider how you might reach out and do something -- no matter how small -- for others.

The sober life is great Compass.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on 30 days. That's amazing xxxxxx
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have a fear of talkinig just dont talk, but I have found that AA was just the place for me to test the waters of conquering fears.

Now i change groups when i feel i get complacent in my attitude.

and congrats on 30 days that i HUGE
Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Compass1 View Post
I managed to reach a continuous 30 day mark off the drink. I did this mostly by keeping myself busy with work and not going out and socializing much. I'm proud of this accomplishment but I believe its going to take more than keeping myself busy to make this sobriety thing stick. I have tried AA in the past and I didn't really feel that it was for me... I get very nervous talking in front of groups and meeting new people, which is why I believe I would binge drink in the past. Suggestions are welcome.
Great on 30 days without a drink, feel proud.

I've been active in AA for many years and see peoples fears about going to meetings, I had many myself. I'm not saying this to you but it was common for a newcomer to be told " Take the cotton out of your ears, put it in your mouth, sit up front and LISTEN as you don't have anything to contribute about staying sober." I was more than upset when I heard that because like many of us I knew it all.
When my pain got bad enough I started to listen to what I needed to hear.
What I'm saying is you don't even to say your name until your comfortable doing so let alone speak. I had that fear as well and found out it's very common and called self centered fear. With many public performers it's called stage fright.
HANG IN THERE AND BE WELL
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days!

Here's to 31 days. Just keep stacking them up. Be gentle with yourself. Be open to new opportunities but don't worry too much about the future.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I needed to accept that recovery had to become part of my daily life. And, in the first few weeks of recovery, it became apparent to me, that balance would be crucial for my recovery. So, I come here every day, I walk, I do yoga, I read, I spend some time alone, just 'being'. Those are the things that help to keep me on my path.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found that gratitude helped me stay sober. When I am grateful for my blessings I have even more reason not to mess them up by drinking.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!!! That's a great accomplishment. Some advice on keeping it going... 1. Exercise
2. Find any hobbies that really interest you
3. iPhone person? I find words with friends and 3's can help getting through some tough agitating times.
4. Read about alcoholism and the different approaches to help. I am not an AA person ( it is very good for many!), so I saw a counselor, read books, and did a ton of self reflection on why I was self medicating
5. Volunteer. It's amazing how rewarding it is to donate your time to help others.

Hope these may help...Best of luck and congrats on 30 days....Please keep in touch.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

have to toss away the drunk friends...

hanging out with drunk people = relapse (sooner or later)

my opinion
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I initially stopped because of vertigo and before seeing a cardiologist that my primary referred me to. Had an awful checkup, BP off the charts, made me hit bottom of depression and anxiety. So thought I'd quit awhile. Searching the internet I found Belles "tiredofthinkingabout drinking" blog. Joined the 100 day challenge. E-mailed her every day to say I was still sober and always got an encouraging response. After a while I found SR and some other great sites and it hit me that I was quitting for good. Finally accepted that I could not moderate. That was the key. I still e-mail Belle now and again and am closing in on 180 days. I have some significant tests to my sobriety coming up and I pray that I reach out for help instead of my usual isolation. Oh, and health much better now, like night and day, was in denial about how sick my drinking was making me.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i am asking the same question, how does one maintain long term?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zoomi

if there's anything in the preceding posts that's not crystal clear to you, don't be afraid to ask questions

I think acceptance is key to long term recovery.

We have to accept that our relationship with alcohol is self destructive, and will always be that way.

D