Notices

March 9, 2013 vs March 9, 2014

Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

March 9, 2013 vs March 9, 2014

March 9 2013,

6:45 am.. What the heck is that noise? It cant be morning already, I feel like I've only been asleep for 20 minutes. Hit the snooze button.
6:55 am.. Stupid alarm, where are you? I cant find the snooze button, throw alarm against wall, that'll shut it off.

What time did I get home last night? I vaguely remember getting home but no idea what time.

7:00 am, quick shower, it's cold here this morning and I really feel like crap.

7: 10 am. No time for breakfast, don't fee like eating anyways, gotta get the bar open.

7:25 am. Pulling into parking lot, Jeez, 3 people waiting for me to open, they know I wont serve them til 8. Why do they show up before I even get here. Definitely not gonna stay after my shift and drink.

7:45 am, I hear you knocking! We don't open til 8, last time I let you in early, you expected it from the other bartenders.

8:00 am, Bar's open. C'mon in.

9:00 am , still not hungry, still hungover, not gonna drink tonight.

12:00 noon. You 3 are still the only customers I've had today, but you're still here, get a life, you 3 are here EVERY day. Try eating lunch, it's awful, cant wait til 3 to go home and relax and recover.

12:15 pm. Finally some other customers, and two of the original 3 have left, I have made $3.00 in tips so far, that pays for the sandwich I threw out for lunch.

C'mon 3:00 I just want to go home.

2:30 pm. Start restocking and refilling for the 2nd shift. Hey guy, time to pay your tab, you've been here my whole shift again, 7 hours for a $2.00 tip, THANKS.

3:00 pm shifts over, I made $38.00 in tips for the whole day, why do I still work here, screw it I'm gonna have my shift drink, then go home.

3:15 pm, what the heck, I only made $38.00 that's not gonna pay ant bills. Might as well stick around for a bit. Another tequila please!

3:30 pm, I forgot about the Italian Dinner tonight, and I'm actually hungry finally, I guess I'll stay and have dinner, the bartenders eat free. Can I have another tequila.

5:00 pm and a few more tequilas later (not sure how many) Dinner is starting, I'll wait til the crowd dies down, then grab something, In the mean time another tequila sounds like a plan.

6:00 pm, after a few more tequila's I'm not hungry any more, I really should get home.

6:15 OK, last one and I'm outta here!

6:40 pm, pulling onto my street and onto my property, OH NO, a cop has been following me.

7:10 pm arrested for suspicion of DUI. On my way to jail.

9:30 breathalyzer results .224, didn't think I was that high. I'm in a world of S%#T.

9:45 in my cell for the rest of the night!

March 9, 2014:

What time is it? The clock changed last night and it's still dark. Cool, it's 6:45, c'mon puppy, time to go outside and play for a while.

7:15 am I'm hungry, what's for breakfast? It's a special day, I'm gonna make a special breakfast, Eggs, bacon, Waffles, fresh fruit. Glad I quit that stupid bar, I bet the same 3 people are already sitting there waiting for it to open.

8:30 am, walk to the convenience store to get a newspaper, it's a liitle chilly today for Key West.

9:00 am , take my time reading the paper, Cat, get off my lap, I'm trying to read!

10:00 am, aquarium is clearing up from new gravel I put in to eventually switch to live plants, gonna check out some aqauscaping sites today. Still need to check water and do a partial change, this tank is gonna be great when I get it done.

11:00 am. Wanted to go scuba diving today as a treat to myself, but this cold I caught won't allow that. OK take Jezebel to the dog park, she will love running around with the other puppies!

2:00 pm . Home from the dog park and a great lobster BLT for lunch, Jezebel is pooped out from playing, Max is out doing whatever cats do and I think it's nap time.

4:00 time to do laundry, all the money I've saved from not drinking got me a washer and dryer, so I don't have to haul it to the Laundromat.

6:00 pm, time to head to the American Legion, do a water change on the aquarium I donated to them when I got my bigger tank, and for trivia night, our team has won the last 3 times we've played. I think they'll be serving leftover chili from last nights chili cook off, should be good.

8:45 pm, we came in 2nd , oh well, it was fun, one more water and I'll head in to the office to get on the computer.

9:15 pm, Online at SR, checking all the messages, I've gotten today congratulating me on 1 year of sobriety, must remember to check in with the 24 hour club, deeker would hound me if I didn't sign up today, Its an awesome thread she has going.

9:45 pm all messages checked. I think I'm going start a new thread about how much different 1 day can be 1 year later. Hopefully, someone just starting out or struggling can use this and help themselves.

10:45 pm.
To everyone that was here when I joined, THANK YOU!
To all the moderators THANK YOU!
To the people of the CLASS OF MARCH 2013, THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU!
To Deeker and the 24 Hour Club, THANK YOU!

Gonna check around a little more and then head home, Jezebel and Max are waiting!

Take Care and Stay Strong

Ken
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post Ken - good stuff

D
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Wonderful post and congrats on 1 year!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done Ken what a turnaround in your life. Congratulations on the 1 year and i hope there are many more to come
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year! Great post, thank you for sharing.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great Post!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Fantastic Post!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great, Ken! And thanks--we love you, too!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This was awesome to read...thank you!!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jkb

Thank you for the wonderful inspiration.... great post.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

Your post was so inspiring that I went and looked up my activity from my clean and sober journal from this time, last year. When I juxtaposed the two entries, it really shows how diametrically opposed the two lifestyles really are.

March 7th, 2013-

Cost Benefit Analysis-

I picked a random month out of my past. I wanted to know how much money I was spending on boozing. The total from the Month of May, 2011 was $723.00

$723.00!!!

And this figures ignores all of the FREE drinks I drank, ATM withdraws, all of the dope I may have smoked, all of the exercise I didn’t do, all of the reading I did not do, driving to and from these establishments and of course, all the risks involved when one drinks and drives.

If I were to multiply 723 over the last six months, then I have saved more than $4338.00 dollars by not drinking. This figure is frighteningly realistic for I went on vacation in November (a time I usually drink like a sailor) and spent a whopping 250 bucks on booze ALONE during New Years Eve 2011.

Scary. Just scary.

I thought I was only spending around 400 bucks a month. Obviously I was way off.

Words of the day-

Mephistopheles – The Devil

Adduce- To bring forth in argument or as evidence.; cite as pertinent or conclusive. Example- The burden of proof shall be on the state to adduce the evidence.

Idiom- an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements. Example- from the Police’s idiomatic song, wrapped around your finger “Caught between the Scylla ( a six headed sea monster) and Charybdis ( a whirlpool off the coast of Sicily),” or, on the horns of a dilemma, jumping from the frying pan into the fire, between the devil and the deep blue sea, and finally, between a rock and a hard place are all idiomatic expressions of the same thing, which is having to choose the lesser of two evils.

“Each day acquire something that will fortify you against poverty, against death, indeed against other
misfortunes as well; and after you have run over many thoughts, select one to be thoroughly digested that day”

― Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters from a Stoic
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LOVED reading this!! Thank-you and congratulations on your first (re)birthday
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Super!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What an inspiring post.
Isn't it wonderful to have such clarity of mind and an almost mischievous sense of humour after a year of being in such a dark place.
What miracles a year of sobriety can bring.
Hats off to you. Congratulations.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow!!! How AWESOME