Notices

Surveillance cameras in the Rooms

Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surveillance cameras in the Rooms

I realize that this is not an entirely new issue to this site, but looking back through the old posts I did not find any convincing answers. Our group realized that there was a camera in the room in our local fire station recording our meetings when one of the volunteer fire personnel reported one of our members attending the meeting who she felt was a threat to her (were she to be called to the station for an alarm during our meeting). Her claim had no merit, but aside from that, the point is that the camera was used to identify an AA member. When the group asked that the camera be turned off during meetings, the Fire Dept. refused; in addition, they refused our request to post a notice regarding the camera.
I understand that the 12th Tradition can be interpreted in two ways, i.e. as a reminder of humility and as a privacy issue. It seems to me that both can and do apply. Every AA member has the right, whether he or she chooses to avail him or herself of that right, to remain anonymous. In other words, neither the general public nor any authority has any assumptive right to know the identities of AA members. For that reason it appears to me that a surveillance camera in an AA meeting room is a violation of our 12th Tradition.
My group, as a whole, sees it differently. For that reason I have elected to stop attending that meeting (even though it has been my home group for quite a few years and it is the only meeting in my community). People are telling me that surveillance cameras are everywhere now, that there is no escaping them, so I should just ignore the camera. Something tells me not to do that. For me, the next right thing is to find another meeting. I cannot help but feel disappointment in the reaction of my group. Just another big ACCEPTANCE lesson I suppose.
R.L.
Florida
Old 03-09-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wow! I'd be upset too. Why did the group say that they aren't going to fight the camera being there? Does no one see the violation of privacy going on there? Can the meeting be held somewhere else?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Looks like, another place to hold meetings is in order then
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm with you 100% lauriault. I'll bet if you went there and made an announcement that you are starting a new group, (I suggest on a different night) that there would be ample support for it.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully your group can find a safer place to meet.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Find a different meeting to attend,I always thought video camera recordings were only looked at when a problem occurs,sounds as if someone was being way too nosey,looking through footage of an AA meeting.

Or you can call for a group conscience meeting and raise your concerns.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why is someone going through the surveillance tapes of the AA meetings?

Time for the meeting to move.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow !

Home movies for the fire dept.

.....before I say anything bad, I have to agree with Capt Z and Anna
Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another vote for moving your meeting.

D
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would say move the meeting someplace else.knowing that the meetings were being filmed and that people were watching the meetings to me seems a huge violation of the " anonymity" part of AA. If the old timers don't have a problem with that and you can approach them, I would suggest that it could be hugely intimidating to newcomers who are already nervous about attending. Many of whom fear being "outed" to begin with.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! Isn't half of the name "Anonymous"? That's some serious lack of respect and lack of boundaries. I'd move the meetings and have nothing more to do with them.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I d bring it up at the business meeting, have a group conscience vote and hopefully get a site search committee going. Many places are AA friendly: churches, community centers, schools.... and will charge only a nominal fee. Take a group vote on it.