Notices

How do I move on after the wreckage??

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I move on after the wreckage??

I have gotten multiple duis, lost jobs, house in forclosure, divorced, bankruptcy, I have two little girls and just cant stand what I have put them through, all of their hurt was at my expense. When I get to spend time with them I cant even focus on being happy to be with them. All I think of is what I have done to them. I wake up every day with these thoughts. I am active in AA, have a sponsor, but its all still there. How can I cope with all of this. Please any advice
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ryan,
Is seeing a therapist an option for you? They can be tremendously helpful in helping people to work out overwhelming emotions like this guilt you have, and helping to guide the person to insights that they cannot see for themselves. Also, they can help determine if you are suffering from depression, and make recommendations for you to see a psychiatrist, if necessary. If appropriate, getting treatment for clinical depression can change your life.

How long have you been sober, Ryan? Is it still early in your recovery?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best way to make amends is to stay sober. Work toward your goals. Be the best dad you can be. And vow never to drink again.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guilt and shame can be so overwhelming when we really look at the messes we have made. I'm glad you are trying to find ways to deal with this. Have you considered talking to a therapist? Another thing that might help is a keeping a Gratitude Journal and making yourself focus on what is positive in your life. And, try to remember that you are doing the best you can right now and that's all you can do.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can offer you the experience of a kid whose parent got sober (in my teens) after years and years of terrible dysfunction and instability. I look at the years after my mother got sober as the greatest gift of my life, though I didn't know it at the time. And I know ultimately, she did as well. On one of her sobriety anniversaries, she told me, "this one means so much to me, because now for over half of your life, you have had the other mother, the sober mother." When she passed away she had 28 years sobriety, and all of our lives were better for it. It is so hard to see how different the future can be for you and your children, but know that people, and children especially are present in the current moment, and who you are NOW means more to them than who you were yesterday. You can be the person and the dad you want to be right now. And it makes a difference.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Thank you for this thread today. I really needed to hear the words of wisdom so I know I can move on in my life.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just move forward and you will become comfortable in your own skin after a while xxxx
Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my case I needed to accept the fact of the words "it takes time." I hated that word time as I was so undisciplined, more so when drinking. Easy Does It and acceptance was often given as a reminder of things I needed to do.
Eventually things (me) came together and life became so much more manageable with me getting out of the way.

BE WELL