Notices

Too easy

Old 03-09-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too easy

It's day 4 for me and it's been too easy and I'm VERY wary. I've been here before and I think it's my AV playing the long game with me. You know the one, "Ah sure look it's not that bad, see how easy it's been. You can give up any time you want to. If you fancy a drink, have one. It's not like all those other times. You're different now. SR will be there for you if you fail, but I'm sure you wont. F*** it just one"
Cunning, cunning, cunning. But I'm watching you!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're smart to be vigilant. Keep your guard up as that AV is a sneaky devil.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boy you got that one right. This dis ease is cunning, baffling and insidious. You describe the way it can work.

BE WELL
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great post xxx
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i hear ya .
Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sparkos! So true!! I don't know if you were a binger, or every day type drinker. But I am(was) definitely a binger and I can relate completely. The first several days, even couple of weeks of sobriety were relatively easy. But then out of nowhere, a single thought, or comment from someone would trigger a pretty serious AV attack!!! I would be fine all day, then in the blink of an eye I was almost giving myself permission to drink. Luckily I got through them without drinking. It's great that you are aware of this, and I can promise that they do pass in short order. For me, they are very infrequent, but like you mentioned, the AV is patient and can strike at any time. One of the things that does work for me when this happens is to eat until I am somewhat full. That always diminishes and eventually eliminates the mental craving to drink alcohol…
Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is day1690 and I could say exactly the same thing
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is so right on. I could've written this exactly.

The thing that helps me is realizing that this is typical thinking of an alcoholic/person with a drinking problem/whatever you want to call it...knowing that this isn't unique thinking to me, helps me see the big picture and say to myself, "Okaaaaaay....yup, if anything this thought pattern just cements the fact that I can't drink." That way I'm able to dismiss it without agonizing over the what ifs.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Betterlife1 View Post
Hi Sparkos! So true!! I don't know if you were a binger, or every day type drinker. But I am(was) definitely a binger and I can relate completely. The first several days, even couple of weeks of sobriety were relatively easy. But then out of nowhere, a single thought, or comment from someone would trigger a pretty serious AV attack!!! I would be fine all day, then in the blink of an eye I was almost giving myself permission to drink. Luckily I got through them without drinking. It's great that you are aware of this, and I can promise that they do pass in short order. For me, they are very infrequent, but like you mentioned, the AV is patient and can strike at any time. One of the things that does work for me when this happens is to eat until I am somewhat full. That always diminishes and eventually eliminates the mental craving to drink alcohol…
This is exactly what happens to me too.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
It's day 4 for me and it's been too easy and I'm VERY wary. I've been here before and I think it's my AV playing the long game with me. You know the one, "Ah sure look it's not that bad, see how easy it's been. You can give up any time you want to. If you fancy a drink, have one. It's not like all those other times. You're different now. SR will be there for you if you fail, but I'm sure you wont. F*** it just one"
Cunning, cunning, cunning. But I'm watching you!
Yup, when nothing is going on its very easy to stay sober but once life happens and things start to happen then its hard. The brain gets messed up. Its a thinking problem. Our brain think unhealthy, alocholic thoughts. This is the obsession, our thinking. Think whatever you want to drink. Failure is not an option. Relapse does not have to be apart of recovery. Countless people have stayed sober on their first good shot at it. Its just a matter of how far down did you go and how bad do you want to recover. Pain is the touchstone to change. If there is no pain there is no reason to change. Simple stuff here its not rocket science.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

But then out of nowhere, a single thought, or comment from someone would trigger a pretty serious AV attack!!!…[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it. I suppose I shpuld be using this "easy" time to bolster my defences for the inevitable AV attack.

Thanks all.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That AV is so smart; he is well trained and knows us intimately.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me it's easy to quit drinking/ smoking.

Living is hard.