Notices

hey Facebook, I'm an alcoholic

Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

hey Facebook, I'm an alcoholic

Just anounced last night to all facebook friends that I'm an alcoholic. I'm not proud, but no longer ashamed. I figure if I'm serious then I can use the help of anyone & everyone that cares. They know now, and can help. I can be fully honest from here on out. Now I'm accountable forever as well.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Honestly, I think that's brave and a good idea.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi forghetti

It's a brave thing you've done, and altho I wouldn't do it, I understand why you've done it.

Be prepared for some people not to believe you or not to understand tho.
There's a lot of stigma attached to the word alcoholic.

D
Old 03-08-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I don't care of any stigma though. Im no longer ashamed. I beat this in 2011 I thought. Im back but this time I'm on the offensive.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DAB

You never beat it, you just go into remission.
How long you stay in remission is up to you.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is a brave thing to do. I wouldn't do it as my problem is a very private thing.
I avoided FB once I got sober -find it too full of egocentric people pretending their lives are perfect and it is full of triggers. Many people on FB aren't real friends anyway imo so I prefer to be choosy as to who knows my business
Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know a few friends on FB that openly admit they are alcoholics. One relapsed but the other is wanting to be a drug/alcohol guidance counselor.

I think it's a courageous thing.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There are quite a few addiction groups on facebook but not as good as here in my opinion. I was banned from one for not going to AA.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forghetti35 View Post
Just anounced last night to all facebook friends that I'm an alcoholic. I'm not proud, but no longer ashamed. I figure if I'm serious then I can use the help of anyone & everyone that cares. They know now, and can help. I can be fully honest from here on out. Now I'm accountable forever as well.
What's done is done and in the long run I hope it works out for you.

BE WELL
Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Good for you! There is too much shame and stigma with alcoholism and people need to do what empowers them. I'm sure they care about you and will help you through this.

(I can't do it but we each have our own journey)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good on ya! I know a couple friends who have done this and I admire their courage. I share a lot on facebook, but that's one thing I keep somewhat to myself. The stigma extends to job associates, the stigma opens potential issues and risks in my situation with my ex and parenting, it opens the door for misconceptions to be used against me in ways I'm not comfortable with.

I suspect that eventually I will be quite open about me 'choice not to use alcohol', and have already done so on a few occasions - but whether facebook or in person relationships, I have seen a clear difference in the reactions and behaviors of others when using the phrase "I don't drink" and "I'm an alcoholic".

Right or wrong - that difference exists and has implications.

Anyway, I do admire your courage and strength and I think that for the MOST part having it out in the open fully means having more support and understanding and less likelihood of your own self-doubts, shame and related issues contributing to relapse.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

That took a lot of courage for you and I applaud you for that. You felt it was the right thing for you to do and that's all that matters.

I dislike any kind of negativity in something someone sees as being positive in their sobriety but I do want to offer this. I've had friends that have done what you have done and they received generous replies of encouragement and understanding. They also had to deal with some negativity for what they did. Please, please, please consider this now and have a plan in place to deal with it. Come here and post, talk to someone who does understand. Unless they have walked our path people will never really get it. Pay no mind to those who don't.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Originally Posted by Forghetti35 View Post
I don't care of any stigma though. Im no longer ashamed. I beat this in 2011 I thought. Im back but this time I'm on the offensive.
WOW!!! Good for you

And you know what? I'm betting admitting that, will probably
help another who is suffering in silence, scared half to death
to admit they have a problem.

Way to go. I'm so proud of you.

What a good example you're setting.

I can't wait to watch you grow with your sobriety
and all aspects of life, that's waiting for you.

Embrace LIFE. The best is yet to come.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi forghetti

and altho I wouldn't do it
there are many we can tell things to
without putting it out for the world to see on Facebook
I would never do that and have removed all of my personal information from Facebook

posts from Facebook often have been showing up in court cases lately
some of these wish they would have never shared

probably not too late
to remove the best that you can
took me some time to remove all of my information
if I was you I would remove the alcoholic information

Mountainman
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Not a good idea on a public web site.

What Employers Are Thinking When They Look At Your Facebook Page - Forbes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
jkb

I must agree that I would definitely not do that however, it is your choice. I am not a huge fb fan and rarely even look at it but, it is up to you. Just remember anything you post on the internet is there for ANYONE to see.

Just thoughts,
Jess
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First, I applaud your courage. For the reasons stated here, I could never do it.

It seems to me that the only people that get celebrated for outing themselves to their employers and the public are either celebrities, or members of the media. Once they come out as being in recovery, they are looked at as heroes. Case in point, Elizabeth Vargas, news anchor.

For non-celebrities like ourselves, it seems quite the opposite. Shoot, I have terminal cancer, am still working like a dog, and I still have to be concerned about keeping this info from future employers!! Crazy, right? The lady who played Rhoda in the 70’s has terminal cancer, and everyone loves her for it. It's a crazy world we live in, and we have to walk a tightrope in terms of the info we put out there.

I hope this works out well, and doesn't cause you more stress. I do think it was a brave thing...I just don't want to see you get hurt.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

You can still delete it off facebook. Maybe reword it differently.

Hmm I'm working on making better choices in life. I have no room for alcohol or junk food. Does anyone care to join me?

I want to live a healthier life.

Just a thought
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Not sure how it works in other places but in Maine if you disclose an addiction to your employer, as long as you are working on the issue and it isn't affecting work, they can't fire you without great repercussion. This is true even with Maine being an employment at will state.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't know. I just know me. Everyone who I had friended already knew I had a problem and since most of my pictures were of me with a drink in my hand or most of my posts some funny ecard about wanting a drink in my hand anyone who wanted to get past my security setting on it would probably have figured it out anyway.

But I also am not a public figure, wealthy, or anyone of great importance to anyone outside my friends and family so I doubt if I did it, it would matter all that much.

Just me.