Notices

hey Facebook, I'm an alcoholic

Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think that is a huge step! I won't do it as I've got many extended friends that don't know and I've got 7 years in recovery. I'm also job hunting (working a temporary job) and as far as I know (have heard from people who hire), they can look at your FB page and do it often. That's just me.

My cousin, however, is in recovery and often posts really cool stuff about recovery - most of it relates to life in general, such as moving forward from the past and doing our best every day. I LOVE how he posts uplifting stuff that is from a recovery site but applies to everyone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

FB Status: Alcoholic? I have to agree with the people who say No to Posting this information on Facebook. I have read what previous posters have had to say on the subject and have to agree. You are opening yourself to a whole new world of problems in addition to alcoholism. I hope you remove your posting as best you can.

I know of one person who has been open about their dependency issues and feels in the clear to reveal it after being sober for ten years. I don't know what the effect of this truth-telling will be. She has left herself open to ridicule and judgement and conjecture on other people's facebook pages. What of the zero-contact rule you may be aware of from these forums? Besides sobriety-issues, she has children who depend on her pay cheque if she happens to lose her job. She has had a recent and painful breakup with her last boyfriend that is now common-knowledge and old news. At the same time she is publicly mourning her son's death. She is getting propositioned on her facebook by a creep who seems to think he has a chance of being with her. Even though I have all the empathy in the world, I could have well been her competition for the attentions of a certain A who has wrecked havoc in both our lives. I've stopped looking at her page.

Some people say Facebook isn't real. I think disclosure on facebook is a nightmare and a minefield of triggers.

That being said, I hope your experience of the world is better than mine. If you're going to be a bear, might as well be a grizzly.

Best wishes.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Can never beat it. You will always have alcoholicsm. You are never cured.

I never got into the whole Facebook thing, but it seems however that most people I know have a million "friends" on there. I wouldnt consider those friends, as I consider a friend who I talk to face to face on a regular basis, and have deep meaningful conversations with. But its the new-age and "talk to" can mean lots of different types of communication. But the key is "MEANINGFUL CONVERSATIONS". Back when I opened up an account on Facebook, I did do the whole nudge thing to get the most friends as possible through AA or complete strangers. But I never used my full name. Always real first, fake last and a blurry picture that was somewhat recognizable. I had to be careful because there is a stigma atached to this disease. Its not like cancer where everyone is concerned. Most think its just a matter of will-power, they think we have a weak mind. Its not the case at all, but thats the public stigma. Its not a matter of being, ashamed. Its a matter of common sense which in the beginning I didnt have much of any common sense. I wanted to scream from the top of the mountain to the whole world that I am in alcoholics anonymous and that AA will save the world. That is not the case. The truth of the matter is, if you want to work your own program and go it your way. That is good. Many people have gotten sober countless different ways. God knows I have tried most, if not all of them. Those other methods did not work. I still got drunk. Something had to change. I kept going back to Alcoholics Anonymous and sooner or later the information stuck, and it wasnt by going to 90 meetings in 90 days, and it wasnt by doing 2 to 3 meetings a day for god knows how long. Nope. It was by going through the book by someone who understood the book and understood where I was coming from. Those are the people that saved my life, not perfect strangers from Facebook. The only thing I know today is that some people will hurt you, others will help you. And if I go preaching to the world, sooner or later that strange mental blank spot will appear and what am I suppose to do? Myself I can not do anything. Help comes from my Higher Power that will help me through when the times comes when normally I wouldnt even think about picking up a drink. That one in a million'th time, that strange mental blank spot, that always comes.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Not sure how it works in other places but in Maine if you disclose an addiction to your employer, as long as you are working on the issue and it isn't affecting work, they can't fire you without great repercussion. This is true even with Maine being an employment at will state.

The article I put on dealt with people searching for employment.

Due to the nature of this disease, an otherwise good worker could be overlooked.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Matt,
I will add that not "everyone is concerned when you have cancer". A lot of people don't get that either, and think I can cure my terminal cancer with a "positive attitude", or are under the mistaken belief that breast cancer is curable now. It's not. Honestly, I think it makes people feel less threatened about their own life and health. I think the same is true of alcoholism...as long as others (who may be alcoholics in denial!) think we are weak minded, that serves to make them feel better too.

In short, there is stigma attached to a lot of conditions and afflictions. We have to, in my opinion, be careful what we put out there on the internet with public access so that we can protect ourselves from the world at large.

Even facebook privacy settings don't really cut it, because you cannot control what others post on Facebook about you, and what their privacy settings are...