SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day one (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/325201-day-one.html)

Beechk 03-08-2014 08:47 AM

Day one

Hi, I'm new to the site and on day one once again. This is a special day one because I will turn 40 this week. Each year my drinking gets more intense and I need to stop. I come from a family of drinkers and my husband is a drinker. I/we have tried to stop before with no luck. I have had more day ones than I like to admit. It takes more and more drinks each time to get the monster in my head to stop. This drinking has control over me and I want to have live a life without it enjoying everyday not waking up thinking I will never drink again and then by 4pm making a drink. In the past I have gone a month or two without a drink and feel great, I feel so great I think I can have a drink again just to start the cycle all over again only with more drinking. Thank you for reading.

PurpleKnight 03-08-2014 08:54 AM

Hey Beechk, Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

Yeap day ones can seem to be never ending but they don't have to be the future, it's usually something to do with not changing your pattern of life, I used to go to work with a hangover, vow to change, come home, sit thinking about drinking and sure enough I would drink!!

The only way to create different results is to have a completely different lifestyle, rather simply eliminating alcohol and continuing on the same pattern of life!!

You'll find loads of support here to get you there!! great to have you onboard!! :)

mecanix 03-08-2014 08:55 AM

Hello and welcome Beechk ,

Bestwishes, m

SoberLeigh 03-08-2014 08:55 AM

Welcome, Beechk; your story rings so true with me. You have come to a great place. There are many, many people here on SR who have been/are where you are; you will find much support here. Keep on posting!

SoberLeigh 03-08-2014 08:58 AM

Welcome, Beechk; your story rings so true with me. You have come to a great place. There are many, many people here on SR who have been/are where you are; you will find much support here. Keep on posting!

Amajorityofone 03-08-2014 09:00 AM

Friend-

What are you going to do differently this time? Do you have a plan?

I'll be praying for you. :)

PurpleKnight 03-08-2014 09:02 AM

Hey Beechk, Welcome to the Forum!! (I'll post on both your threads) :wave:

Yeap day ones can seem to be never ending but they don't have to be the future, it's usually something to do with not changing your pattern of life, I used to go to work with a hangover, vow to change, come home, sit thinking about drinking and sure enough I would drink!!

The only way to create different results is to have a completely different lifestyle, rather simply eliminating alcohol and continuing on the same pattern of life!!

You'll find loads of support here to get you there!! great to have you onboard!! :)

hayley86 03-08-2014 09:03 AM

Welcome Beechk, you will find lots of support and understanding here. Glad you have joined us. :)

Siesta 03-08-2014 09:11 AM

Beechk,
Welcome!! I just turned the fab 40 also! Sobriety is really worth it. I'm almost to 4 months and feel fantastic. Keep going! I agree with Purpleknight. Drinking has been a habit for you, so you'll have to make changes in your life to break it. Athletes will tell you that it takes 21 days to develop new habits, so why not give it a try? When four o'clock rolls around, make yourself a nice lemonade or Arnold Palmer. You'll feel a lot better in the morning. Finding other things to do, like setting fitness goals or starting a new hobby are a great way to get started with developing new habits. For some people, meetings can be a great way to get support. There are also lots of great forums on here with great advice. Keep reading.

KateL 03-08-2014 09:14 AM

Welcome Beechk xxxx

KateL 03-08-2014 09:15 AM

I had a bit of an epiphany around the age of 40 xxxxxxx

adee 03-08-2014 09:18 AM

Welcome. It has taken me a lot of day ones to get to a point where I finally feel ready to accept I may not have another day one in me. Let the day ones of the past stay in the past, what matters now is today. Great job starting again.

least 03-08-2014 09:30 AM

Welcome to the SR family. :hug:

Beechk 03-08-2014 09:48 AM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Beechk 03-08-2014 09:51 AM

I'm currently watching Alcoholics anonymous-steps 1,2, and 3. I have a big book and will be reading it daily. I downloaded podcasts to listen to daily so I will stay focused on my goal. This time I will complete a 4th step inventory.

SeaScape 03-08-2014 10:48 AM

Hi beechk
Welcome. Congratulations on wanting to change your life.
I'm here for a big change - I'm in my late 30's too surrounded by drinkers. I finally had enough and want my sober, healthy self back.

I sign into the 24 hour club everyday - it's daily diligence that is making sobriety a real commitment for me!

Beechk 03-08-2014 11:22 AM

Thanks for your input and support SeaScape

Beechk 03-11-2014 02:15 PM

Happy to report I'm now on day 4. My energy has increased and I feel good.

Sulu1 03-11-2014 02:18 PM

Great going Beechk, I'm on day 4 too. I've felt pretty good today actually. Let's keep it up

Aiko 03-11-2014 02:26 PM

Welcome BeechK

You know now that is not just the ONE, so just do not have one and you will not go back in the circle.
I want just the one but I know I can not... bc it opens the door to
"anyway I drunk one so never mind I have two now that I done wrong... it will not matter... than you want to feel more is not enough... then it is Open Season..."

Stopping gets harder...
So try to learn how to stay sober,
read here in the posts there are many strategies & tools you can learn.

You get used to be sober and your life will change in so many ways!!!