Notices

First time in chat room format

Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time in chat room format

Already quite discouraged. I typed a long introduction of myself and situation and was all of a sudden in the smiles with no idea how to get back. I think I lost everything that I had typed. So here is a much much more brief version.

I am married with 21 year old step son who is using drugs now.

I am a recovering addict 24 years and first half was in 12 step fellowship, second half on my own. My husband has 8 years of sobriety but no 12 step experience.

My step son has lied and stolen from us. His father has had him arrested. He has been kicked out of our home. He had a job, was going to college, had a car we purchased for him. He lost the job, quit school, totaled the car last week. He is now back home because we have no idea what to do with him.

I am in the tough love camp. My husband, his dad, does not have the stomach for it.

We need help. I have never felt so helpless, hopeless, or powerless in all the years of my sobriety.

Oh, he also asked to go to therapy, we set it up, he went to intake and one session and never returned. The initial recommendation was to have some physical tests run and see if he had any thyroid or other issues and also recommended psychiatrist for potential rx help. He also is diagnosed ADD, but not HD.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck pokey. Did you know there is a forum thread area for family and friends of people with active addiction on this site?
All the best.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm sorry for your situation as I'm currently in one and it's tough to say the least. Now I understand why it's not a good idea to get involved in family meltdowns. For me AL anon has been a great recourse for families with difficulties like these. I happen to like it for other reasons also.

This is the forum referred to above: Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Also very good.

BE WELL