Notices

Angry and Pissed I can't drink

Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I commend you for getting sober! I hope you stay that way! Imagine all of the CRAP you can bypass if you do not pick up? DUIs, legal problems, divorce, losing custody of children, going to jail, going to rehab 5 times. God knows what else. If your an alcoholic, bad stuff starts to happen.

Have you thought about finding a young person's meeting at AA? You will meet awesome sober friends and the steps will change your life.
Yea I went to a AA meeting...I was overwhelmed. I didn't feel like my story was worth telling compared to the stories I was hearing. There were some people that really went through a lot at such a young age that I felt like my drinking story was childs play...
Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Man I wish I had stopped at your age!

What are you doing for recovery? Maybe you need to talk to other people like you and make sober friends. Also, don't project too far out. It is stressful when you're worrying about not drinking at 40. Just think about not drinking today.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

youngLadySober, 34 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations. If I had the choice again I would pick the girlfriend I love instead of drinking, I would have been better off than I am now. One glass of wine at age 45, 22 years from now. So how much ya gonna drink between now and then. 22 years = 8030 days. If through the whole time period you only drank one glass a day, at $1.00 a glass, you would have spent $8030.00! That ain't no small chunk of change. There are a whole lot of reasons too quit, rootin for ya.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

First of all, congrats on the 34 days! Second.. I myself am only 25.. All of my friends go out every weekend and drink.. When I first decided to stop I had the same feelings you do.. "What am I going to do for fun now?" "I'm NEVER going to be able to drink again? I have my whole life ahead of me!" The list goes on.. My only advice is to just do what everyone struggling with sobriety tells you to do - take it one day at a time.

I have to admit.. The main reason I begin to drink again every time is because of these feelings. It's not easy to stay strong. My friends will take a trip to the vineyard and I won't be able to say no.. Or I'll get invited to a party and I'll tag along. But what I never realized was that deciding to not drink again means your lifestyle has to change.. It just depends on whether or not you're ready to change.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by youngLadySober View Post
Its been up and down. Honestly I'm happy I have decided I don't drink but there are a lot of days where I question my decision. I just feel like I'm not going to be able to make friends and be "cool to hang around" when meeting people. I just moved to Denver and I have meet a few people...whos hobby is drinking and I pretty much can't hang out with them so Ive been hanging out with my bf a lot more which is a good and bad thing sometimes. I feel like we should be out socializing with other people but hes so nervous to put me around alcohol that we avoid going to social things with people are age. We did however go to a bowling alley that served alcohol (most people are there to drink) and had a great time. I was actually able to look around and not be consumed with the idea that Im not drinking.

I guess one day at a time but right now this decision has me on a emotional roller coaster...
All that sounds pretty normal to me

My life revolved around drinking for 20 years. When I quit I obviously had to make some changes...but I don't feel ripped off...I feel glad I stayed sober.

I'd been this other drinking person for so long I'd forgotten there was a real me in there somewhere. I'm glad I made his reacquaintance

It's rough to change but it is worth it- none of us would be here and sober if that wasn't true.

If there's even the littlest flickering flame in you of a desire for change, fan it - you will be glad you did

D
Old 03-07-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know a lot of people already said this, but don't think of it as "I'm never going to drink again" , think of it as "I'm not going to drink today." Tomorrow isn't hear yet, nor is any day in the future, so why worry about it today? If the thought of not drinking for 24 hours becomes to overwhelming, break it down into smaller sections like "for the next 5 minutes, I'm not going to drink"

And congratulations on your time sober! 34 days is actually a really long time, you should be proud of yourself.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Young lady - I'm right there with you. Although I only have 16 days, I found myself pissed this morning. Y can't I just have one beer? What's that going to hurt? Answer - it hurts everything. I'm 47 and wish to God my then boyfriend and no ex-husband of 25 years) had said that to me. He cares that much about you and that's awesome. My advice - for what it's worth - one day at a time, try not to look 20 years down the line. The cost of that one drink (and we all know we can't stop at one) is far too much.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I wish I had stopped at your age-my entire life would have been different. I have struggled with the same feelings and issues you've brought up and I'm decades older. "You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometime, you just might find...you get what you need" The Stones said it so well.

I had a very selective memory. I only remembered how much "fun" I had while drinking and conveniently forgot all the bad, embarrassing, and self destructive things that alcohol delivered along with the buzz. Getting sober to me meant continually having to be responsible, boring, not being able to celebrate, feeling separate from friends, etc. I never looked at the positive things it would bring.

Try to remind yourself that sober you are a better friend and a better girlfriend. You smell better. You sound better. You are more present. You have more money. You can remember conversations. You will not get arrested.
Hang in there-you are off to a great start!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When I first got here, someone told me that, "sobriety is an ongoing project." I've had to really work on making things better, creating this new life, becoming proactive about this new way of life. For me, I realized that if I just hoped it got better, it probably wouldn't: I had to make it better, and it is. I'm 42, and if I would have gotten serious at 23, like you are, I would have saved myself a lot of pain and suffering. Congrats on your great start. Hang in there.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You might want to read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp.
I read the book a couple of weeks ago. It's great!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's hard enough wanting to get sober, being forced into it builds loads of resentment and as I know human nature and how defiant I am it won't take long to rebel . Take care of yourself their is so many beautiful supportive people on here I know because they have helped me everytime and something's I have not liked lol but needed to read xxx
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
On your first post here at SR, you said you had quit drinking after a DUI and three months later talked yourself into believing you could moderate your drinking. You failed. That voice is the same "voice" you are listening to now, telling you that it's unfair that you can't drink, creating scenerios in your head where drinking will be a vital component, making you doubt you can go the rest of your life without alcohol. That voice is your addiction. It's taken a lot of people down a dark path. Be careful what you wish for when you wish you could drink.
Well said it's bloody cunning omg !
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goldcoastgirl View Post
I have just started reading this Anna and already had a lot of Lightbulb moments. I am going to re-read and highlight them. Drinking 3 drinks to everyone else 's one, fueling up before I went out so it didn't look like I had drunk as much - it's all so exhausting!
Soooooo much work oooo yes xx
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people feel sad about stopping drink entirely for the same reason you mentioned - they get this picture in their head of being older and sharing a glass of wine with their loved one. Thing is, for many people with alcohol problems, there's no such thing as sipping a single glass of wine. If there was, they wouldn't have problems binging every time they took that first drink.

Alcohol has a tendency to make you remember the good times and not the reality. The reality is, if you do have an issue with alcohol, if you don't stop now, what your life will be like at 45 will likely be a whole lot different than that rosy picture you've got in your head.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngLadySober View Post
Yea I went to a AA meeting...I was overwhelmed. I didn't feel like my story was worth telling compared to the stories I was hearing. There were some people that really went through a lot at such a young age that I felt like my drinking story was childs play...

My first meeting I was nineteen, felt the same as you do now. Like I was missing something. To young to be an alkie.

Here's what I would have been missing over the next 30 something years if I had continued on my path in AA.

3 DUI's, 5 detoxes, 5 psych wards, 4 treatment centers, a halfway house, a nursing home and in jail 7 times.

But I didn't miss it, it was my life.

If you decide to go out there again, no doubt you will have one of the best stories in AA and it won't be childs play.