Notices

Dealing with Feelings

Old 12-13-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

SoberInCLE- I do a lot of software related stuff. I don't do much programming, but I dabble in it here and there. I do a lot of customer support for somebody else's programs plus some other projects and stuff that are a bit hard to describe quickly. Working for myself, I'm the janitor and the CEO, so I get to do a bit of everything really.

I have become increasingly fascinated with RVs over the last several years. This has been a dream for a long time, but I was just never together enough to make it happen before. I know it's a big jump, but I think I'm ready for it now. I spent a lot of time working on my recovery and dealing with the less pleasant things in my life I had to clean up. Now, it feels really good to be at a place where I can pursue the things that I feel truly passionate about.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I pinched a little quote for you to look at. Does it in any way describe how you have been feeling?

" What looked in the beginning like an easier, softer way to maintain happy sobriety yields progressively less and less serenity and real happiness, finally ending in a complete reversal of momentum and a relapse into serious personal misery. The end result may be a return to active alcoholism; or it may be a sinking-out into a life of discontented abstinence, marred by some combination of tension, resentment, depression, compulsive sick sex, and an overall sense of meaninglessness. It is a final failure to reap the benefits of the AA Program; it is, in the last analysis, a failure to recover."
Nope. I wouldn't say this describes how I am feeling at all. Sure, there are times when I have things that I struggle with. But overall, I am grateful for my sobriety, I work on my recovery every day, I continue to grow in life and work towards my goals, I focus on doing good things rather than on doing things to feel good, and things are going better than ever for me.

Yes, I do have bad days or weeks or whatever. When I do, I'm aware of my feelings and I reach out to other people in recovery for a little extra support, like I've done here. There's no shame in reaching out for support even once you've got a little sober time under your belt.

Sometimes, I've found myself hesitating to post when I feel bad because I don't want people with less sober time to think that things won't be better down the road. But it's ridiculous to think that sobriety will solve all problems and we won't still have struggles. The example that I want to set is that when I come across problems or I'm feeling down, I reach out, ask for support, and work to find positive ways to feel better. Hey, maybe somebody with MORE sober time than me is struggling and reading this and I want them to feel like it's OK to reach out.

My post above was merely meant to convey the message: "I'm having a bad day and here's how I'm going to work to turn it around." Not, "I feel like I'm failing in recovery." I feel really good about the big picture of where I'm at.

Different solutions work for different people and I am happy with the way I approach recovery.