Notices

Going to try something new

Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to try something new

I've got this really neat app on my android phone called "stop drinking alcohol". It counts the days I have been sober and with the paid version it comes with 800 quotes (the free version only has 40 quotes). Most of these quotes are really inspiring so I look forward to "checking in" everyday and reading the newest quote.

My idea was to try to post a new quote everyday here on the forums and then provide my own opinion afterword. I think it might be therapeutic for me and maybe some of you might enjoy it as well. So here goes!

"Taking daily action is your best offense. Make your sobriety your job, like breathing or standing and walking. Give yourself a pep-talk when you're going out in the morning and pat yourself on the back throughout the day. Be grateful for being sober, and remind yourself of that" - Anon

I really like this quote. I'm only on day 25 of my own sobriety and it definitely is a full time job. There are various moments through out the course of a day where the thought of drinking alcohol may come to mind. When that happens, I remind myself of how terrible things were back then and how much better things are right now. I'm indeed grateful for every sober hour I achieve.

Thanks for reading this!

My name is Steve and I'm an Alcoholic.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Steve - Getting ready to head out for the day in the right frame of mind is a good way to lay a foundation for the day's challenges, whether they are big or small. I start on my knees in prayer to remind myself where I am in the universal scheme of things, others meditate, others do a "pep-talk" as the quote said. I think this is part of learning to care for ourselves, which is a foreign concept to a lot of us in active addiction or early sobriety! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All the things we try to stop drinking. Its the new age, so this android app might be the wave of the future to recover millions from the brink of alcoholic death and misery. I know of only one program that has done that, and its in a book, printed in the 1930's.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@ Matt4x4 You are very right!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have an app like that on my phone. Its called ImQuit. It counts days/hours/minutes from your last slip.

I have counters set up for alcohol, tobacco, and a few other bad habits.

Sometimes just the thought of having to reset the counter and type in a reason is enough of an interruption from my obsessive thoughts. "Do I really want to start over again at zero minutes?"
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever helps you stay sober is a good thing in my book.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a dumbphone, but the app sounds good SCO.
Great quote

have a good sober weekend

D
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74! You as well!