Notices

Here's to new beginnings

Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here's to new beginnings

Sometimes a glance in the mirror is all it takes. I'm still in day 1 and I didn't like what I saw. I liked less what I feel. But here's to new beginnings and not drinking. I know I can't improve anything by continuing to drink. I found this site via researching skin conditions due to drinking. It seems like a great place to be.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there Midwestern! Welcome - and keep coming back. This board is great for support and a lot of encouragement.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome to SR midwesterner. Get used to liking what you see in the mirror if you can stay sober. Be aware that after a few days or weeks or months your AV (addictive/alcoholic voice) may start suggesting it's ok to start drinking in moderation.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Midwesterner, to SR. You have found a great site - full of many amazing people who will support you along your path to sobriety.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Like Gilbert Grape's mother in the movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" I can honestly say I never used to be like this. I come from a rather lengthy line of alcoholics (grandfather and father) and I swore as a kid I would never, ever become an alcoholic, never have SOMETHING control ME. But it's happened and it's time to face the music. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know you all better.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You've come to a great place here MidWestener. Use it as much as you can.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR, Midwestern, lots of help here for you, keep posting.

My skin has improved immensely since I stopped drinking, I suffered with redness on my cheeks, I used to blame the menopause and spent an awful lot of money on trying to get rid of it.

It's amazing how much better you feel in your body and mind once you stop drinking.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Midwestern!

Congratulations on taking the first step. There are a lot of great resources on this site.

One day at a time helped me & my skin improved in about a month. Do you have a plan to help you stay sober?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
living sober

Welcome Midwestern,

I'm just starting out as well! I'm on day 8 of sobriety and I can see and feel a lot of positive changes already including improving skin. Let me just say it feels really good in every way!

SR is a fantastic place to be with tons of support by warm and caring people, so keep on posting and reading.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxxx
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your good encouraging words! I had what would otherwise have been a day from hell at work but sailed through because I did not have the added handicap of feeling poorly or hung-over, and that was the good news with day 2.

So tonight is Friday night, got off work and went out to eat with friends. They headed down to the bars and I headed home to be with my dogs and some decaf coffee.

I plan to repeat today tomorrow...and then one day at a time.

Thanks again all for your kind words of encouragement. It means a lot!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Welcome Midwestern!

Congratulations on taking the first step. There are a lot of great resources on this site.

One day at a time helped me & my skin improved in about a month. Do you have a plan to help you stay sober?
I do. I want to stay more physically active and basically avoid situations and triggers where I want to drink. I gave up cigarettes 14 years ago using the same strategy and I LOVED my cigs! I think like everyone else though I have to just take it one day at a time. The thought of having to live up to a grand plan of some sort is too daunting for me at this time.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
I do. I want to stay more physically active and basically avoid situations and triggers where I want to drink. I gave up cigarettes 14 years ago using the same strategy and I LOVED my cigs! I think like everyone else though I have to just take it one day at a time. The thought of having to live up to a grand plan of some sort is too daunting for me at this time.
Those are exactly my thoughts Midwestener.

I also gave up smoking about that time and I think it is helping me now in recognising the physical craving for alcohol vs the habit of just drinking, and trying to break both.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Midwestener!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Midwesterner! We have several things in common. First off, I too, come from a list of alkies (me, my sister, my dad), second, I am on Day Two as well and third, I am from NE, just like you! (Omaha area too boot!)

So glad you are here!
Old 03-08-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a great place for support. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Give sobriety some time and you WILL like looking in the mirror its amazing how the body heals itself after such horrid abuse we put it through. You hang on in there and you WILL see positive changes to not only your appearance but your entire self
Old 03-08-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great meeting you Gibbons2 and thanks for the encouragement all. This Saturday has been going fantastically so far and the first time in a long time I have woken up on a Saturday without some sort of residue or full-blown hangover from drinking.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
living sober

Hi Midwesterner,

sober mornings are marvellous, aren't they? ;-) I never used to be a morning person but I suppose sobriety is going to turn around many things in my life and I'm embracing the change. Everything feels fresh and full of promise, it's exciting.

Wishing you a lovely sober Sunday morning!