Notices

30 days off methadone

Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days off methadone

Hello all. Here is my story:
I am 23 years old, been on methadone for 4 years due to OxyContin abuse. Long story short, started at 15mgs of methadone and went all the way up to 90mgs. Over the course of the 4 years ( long time, I know ) I tapered myself down to 10mgs. I was on 10 mgs for about 3 months before I made the decision to jump off cold turkey. Now, here is my experience.
I have been off methadone for 30 days now. The psychical symptoms have mostly subsided except for the sneezing and minor leg cramps from time to time. However, the PAWS are present. Once I quit, I thought the psychical aspect would be the hardest part. Boy was I wrong. It is the mental part that is the hardest. I now suffer from anxiety and depression... BUT I am much better. I do not notice a difference day to day, however week to week I notice a considerable difference. I AM getting better and for everyone out there trying to quit methadone, HANG IN THERE! I noticed that what makes me feel better is keeping myself busy, which that in itself feels like a chore. Also I am taking Valium ( diazepam ) prescribed to me by my doctor but not everyday. I try to take it as minimally as possible bc of it's addictive qualities. I know 30 days isn't so long but something is better than nothing. Anyone else going through something similar??? Pls let me know
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction is addiction in my opinion. We all have the mental part to work and recover from. You are doing fabulous. Keep up the good work. It sounds to me like you have a great attitude, making the journey much more enjoyable and worth the effort. BRAVO!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Mizzuno. I appreciate the words of encouragement. Hoping that this anxiety and depression will get better soon, but I also know that these are the consequences one must undergo. On the bright side, I am getting better. Thank you for your reply!