Notices

Questions about Higher Power

Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

EJ43,

It sounds like you're trying to get a grip on this from an AA perspective. That's where my experience is at, so what I'm offering up is firmly rooted in that perspective.

I walked into the rooms of AA many years ago as a dedicated, life-long atheist who thought the idea of a 'higher power' (God or otherwise) was a crutch for weak-minded sheep that just couldn't cope with life. But there I was, unable to quit drinking (cope with life), and absolutely convinced that I could not do this myself (based on my own repeated attempts and failures). Fortunately, I fell in with some AA folks that didn't encourage me to figure this out for myself. Instead, they got me into the BB and actually reading about the experience of others who had recovered.

The first thing I saw was that about 1/2 the original AA fellowship identified as atheist or agnostic. These people didn't know what to believe, and the 12 Steps still worked for them. The first paragraph on pg 25 talks about that necessary condition (being convinced of the hopelessness and futility, and seeing that it really worked for others). In Chapter 4, it talks all about the importance of laying aside my preconceived notions of what a higher power is, and grabbing hold of something that makes sense to me. In fact, the ONLY necessary action for Step 2 is 'a willingness to believe in something greater than myself.' That's it. I didn't have to define it, visualize it, or understand it. In fact, I firmly did not believe. But I was willing to because I didn't have much choice.

Long story short, that approach propelled me through the rest of the Steps and the spiritual awakening necessary for many years of peaceful, contented sobriety. I've seen it over and over with people who struggle (or are outright combative) with the higher power idea. What I'm saying is, don't figure it out. Stop trying, and just let it happen. Are you willing to believe in something? Then that is good enough.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Keithj, thank you, that means a lot to me.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

EJ, to me, it is the energy outwith myself, that I can draw on for strength when I need it most.
What matters most, is that this doesn't become a stumbling block to you being able to take what works for you from AA.
As for fragile egos? These threads are stuffed full! We are all occasionally a little over sensitive and can sometimes see insult where none is intended, or, unintentionally cause it with an ill phrased sentence. Both Mechanix and Your responses to recognising it were perfect.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJ43 View Post
Hi. I am just trying to learn as much as I can here. Have done a lot of reading about the Higher Power, but for some reason am having a hard time picturing it as God for me. It's not that I don't believe, but that piece of the puzzle isn't working for me. I am thrilled for and actually jealous of those that find that their higher power is God and have found their way. I just want to know if you guys could give me examples of different Higher powers. Can it be family love? guardian angel? Universe? Just seeking some counsel from those more experienced. Thanks! Going for it on day 19!
in my opinion, a higher power can be any and all of the things that you have posted. Family, counsel, a guardian angel, the Universe. All of these things are here and all of these things when given the right attention, and we are open to the messages, will uplift and help us on our way. It can change from one day to the next. I think that YOU can also be the higher power, changing and rearranging the situation with a little belief in yourself. I have always felt the protection from something greater than myself, but I reserve the right to call it a name or give it some kind of physical form. This place (earth) and its experiences can be quite confusing for many people. It has been quite confusing for me. I think of this life as an experience, and I know that I am a spiritual being having a human experience. I can not say that I know what all of this (living) means. So, one day you can make the higher power your cat, or perhaps you can make the higher power this forum, where you ask questions and receive a myriad of responses. What I do know is that you have been given the power to change any situation that comes your way. You can take that power and make anything in your life happen. I am a firm believer that our thoughts create the reality we are living. Whatever you choose is accurate. Who is to say that it is not?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cool

Regardless of HP...............

"...Alcohol is actually poisonous. Drink too much of it, and it will kill you. Water is not. In fact, the more water you drink, the more it purifies your body..."

This is actually not true. Do a bit of research on alcohol being poisonous (it is NOT). ...and about water.....? if this were true, nobody would ever drown...............One slight exception........."The dose makes the poison." Anything can poison you in the right (or wrong) dose.

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by over-hydration.

Water, just like any other substance, can be considered a poison when over-consumed in a specific period of time. Water intoxication mostly occurs when water is being consumed in a high quantity without giving the body the proper nutrients it needs to be healthy.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Regardless of HP...............

"...Alcohol is actually poisonous. Drink too much of it, and it will kill you. Water is not. In fact, the more water you drink, the more it purifies your body..."

This is actually not true. Do a bit of research on alcohol being poisonous (it is NOT). ...and about water.....? if this were true, nobody would ever drown...............One slight exception........."The dose makes the poison." Anything can poison you in the right (or wrong) dose.

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by over-hydration.

Water, just like any other substance, can be considered a poison when over-consumed in a specific period of time. Water intoxication mostly occurs when water is being consumed in a high quantity without giving the body the proper nutrients it needs to be healthy.

(o:
NoelleR
Indeed

Woman in water-drinking contest dies - US news - Life | NBC News
Old 03-06-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
We are all occasionally a little over sensitive and can sometimes see insult where none is intended, or, unintentionally cause it with an ill phrased sentence.
I don't want to thread sway but wanted to comment on this. I fully agree.

We can all walk beside each other on the road to recovery. However, I would say that quitting and walking this path is probably one of the most personal things I have ever done.

I can ask for advice and support here and can take in all the help that I receive. Still, it must be me who makes the choice and acts.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Lover of the Light

I have struggled with my higher power and what that means to me. After years of exploration I've discovered that my higher power is universal life force energy. For anyone farmiliar with reiki this is basically the energy of the universe. Once I applied what reiki has taught me to the concept of a higher power within the framework of NA it just clicked for me.

This is my experience.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJ43 View Post
Hi. I am just trying to learn as much as I can here. Have done a lot of reading about the Higher Power, but for some reason am having a hard time picturing it as God for me. It's not that I don't believe, but that piece of the puzzle isn't working for me. I am thrilled for and actually jealous of those that find that their higher power is God and have found their way. I just want to know if you guys could give me examples of different Higher powers. Can it be family love? guardian angel? Universe? Just seeking some counsel from those more experienced. Thanks! Going for it on day 19!
It wasn't until I started looking into general spirituality that this question was answered for me, or rather started to make more sense, as I doubt that my views will remain constant.

Defining a higher power and giving it form seems to only subtract and narrow the scope of it. Dynamics and thoughts are planted into us from our environment starting at a very early age, most people don't really give this a second thought, and they simply act out a series of reactions to the things that happen to them. Drinking is a reaction, addiction is a reaction, resentment is a reaction. Most people accept that this is who they are, but this isn't really the case. You didn't have a choice in which environment you were raised in, the ideals and morals that were taught to you, if you grew up in a different time, in a different place, you could be an entirely different person. If you clear away all of the filters that you view the world through, then what is left? Rising above the mind and seeing your thoughts for what they really are, is a higher state of being.

Consider abandoning the concept of form or imagery when looking for a higher power, it could come instead as a greater understanding on oneself and the world.