Notices

Friday and feeling in the pressure already!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

Angry Friday and feeling in the pressure already!

Hello Forum!,

Its Friday afternoon here and i've been locking myself inside the whole week doing study and basically turning of my phone so people can't convince me to go out or go to the pub etc.

Its a bright day here and my mind knows its friday and i'm so used to finishing work, uni etc and then going out n getting pissed. I do drink a lot when I go out however it's the withdrawl and anxiety that gets me the most, however all I can think about right now is a nice beer in the sun with my friends who I haven't seen all week.

I know i'm probably making excuses to break my streak but damn sunny days like this are the worse.

Struggling in paradise
Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't give in! Don't break your sober streak. You'll regret it if you do. Stay strong. Remember why you quit in the first place. Lean on us for support to get you thru this.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Drknz. It must be hard for you. Sun shining and s nice cold drink.

Not for the sake of sounding pompous, have you tried some delicious non alcohol drinks.

Keep with it, you've done well all week.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Drknz View Post
but damn sunny days like this are the worse.
Ask yourself if that statement makes any sense in any context other than alcohol obsession.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What's the plan for Friday evening? I always think having thought through what you are going to do beforehand is a better way forward than figuring it out at the time, that can make the temptation even stronger.

The thing is, it's still Friday and the weekend, so having a night off from study to enjoy yourself and unwind is what you would usually do, so plan a Sober activitiy, resenting the fact you can't drink and hiding away on a Friday evening doesn't sound like much fun.

A long walk, a movie, coffee etc etc . . . they all can be done without alcohol and you'll feel like you've still chilled out on your Friday evening after a long week!!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sun's gonna shine again.
Weekend is gonna come again.

Does it seem reasonable for things like the weather, or what day of the week it is, to control your actions? I mean, nobody says, "well, I am doing pretty good at not drinking bleach, but damn, here comes a sunny day, and it's a Tuesday -- that's probably gonna make me fall off the bleach wagon again."

I am exaggerating for comic relief, but you can see my point -- you are the guy who makes the decisions. Not the sun, not the calendar, but you. Part of the process is "owning" your own behavior, accepting accountability, whatever you want to call it.

I had a hundred reasons to not quit, you can probably find a hundred of your own if you think about it. Not a one of mine was a good reason to keep drinking, and yours all probably suck, too, when you consider them for a minute in the cold, white, antiseptic light of reason and objective analysis.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Keep at it, you know you can xxxxx
Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Drknz View Post
Its Friday afternoon here and i've been locking myself inside the whole week doing study and basically turning of my phone so people can't convince me to go out or go to the pub etc.
I take it you haven't told your friends of your desire to quit drinking? I can understand the difficulty in admitting that to friends. But do you see the difficulty that not telling causes? They are going to persist in trying to get you out and if you crack, you can blame it on them.

So, keep your phone turned off, or fess up. True friends will support you. Drinking pals with go off and drink without you.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're not alone, for me friday is probably the worst trigger ever. I find keeping myself busy is the best way to avoid it.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I take it you haven't told your friends of your desire to quit drinking? I can understand the difficulty in admitting that to friends. But do you see the difficulty that not telling causes? They are going to persist in trying to get you out and if you crack, you can blame it on them.

So, keep your phone turned off, or fess up. True friends will support you. Drinking pals will go off and drink without you.
^^^^Word^^^^

If your 'friends' are a trigger for you to drink and you truly want to stop, you may want to consider if these folks are 'true friends' or just 'drinking buddies'. In my case walking away from folks who were not my 'true friends', made getting and staying sober MUCH easier.

Good Luck.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Why don't you join Weasel's thread? It's a good support group for those who have trouble handling the week end http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...8-mar-3-a.html
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Friday used to be The Day for me too. I used to look forward to it so much I often got a head start on my mates and start in the morning....

That's how bizarre our thinking can get.

But - honestly - the more sober fridays you rack up the less it will tug at you, Drknz.

I had to change my social circle tho. My mates were great blokes - but the connection was drinking more than anything else.

I know you don't want to hear it, but you can't live a sober life in that kind of drink sodden existence.

I tried. You either end up sober and miserable, or drunk again. Changes are if you stay miserable long enough you'll get drunk again anyway.

Something needs to change.

D
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering

Wow just read all the wonderful replies and support on this thread! I know that I may have to change or distance myself from my friends in the end.. but it seems they drink a lot less than me and i'm the one who gets carried away with it!

Weekend approaching again and already not looking forward to Friday afternoon.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

my advice is - change things up this weekend - don't go out to that bucks do... but do go for a walk, run around the park...whatever...

do anything you can think of thats fun and doesn't involve alcohol
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering

Thanks Dee, it's good to know whilst I can't really talk to anyone else about this in real life I have the support of you guys on here
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DRNKz I'm gonna be struggling tomorrow night too. I will probably be on here for a while. Feel free to get into chat and we can keep each other busy. I realise that's not a substitute to being with your friends.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey looking4help! Thats a great idea.. i'll probably pop on tomorrow afternoon to keep myself busy