Notices

moment of clarity

Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

moment of clarity

I often wondered why they called it "moment" of clarity ... sounds like a quote by Eoyore.
what happens when the moment passes?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it didn't pass. I'm still in it. It was like I saw myself as I really was for the first time - I saw myself as others saw me.

I saw that I was an alcoholic and I was killing myself.

That the kind of punch in the gut thing that stays with you, and it has for me, even 7 years later.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had several moments of clarity...when finally a lucid assessment of the situation came to the surface. It's like once you see something, when it clicks, you can't return to the previous state and act like you never had the realization. (Not without a fair amount of cognitive dissonance and discomfort...). The moments of clarity can be defining, and change the course of your trajectory. I find that every few days I will make a new discovery about the nature of my drinking, and the nature of my new sober life. It feels good to let these ideas roll around in my head, and when I get an aha moment, it's particularly gratifying.

I think Christopher Lawford wrote a book called Moments of Clarity, which tells the stories of many people when they absolutely knew in the heart of hearts that they were suffering from alcoholism. It was an interesting read.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i personally think when the moment which can be awhile, of clarity happens is sometimes when the obsession is magically lifted for me i had a moment of clarity... which road am i going down.. i chose and prayed to god to change and from now on ive had 6 months.. ive relapsed in the past so i have to continue to do the work.. cheers
Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i totally agree with dee there
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's called a moment because it's the instant when we wake up. When you finally see something you always missed it's a pretty powerful thing. When that moment passes nothing is the same as it was before. You find a "new normal".