Notices

Newbie here

Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hello everyone, I guess i just want to share some things about me so i can try to connect with people here and not just lurk as i have been most of the time. And i have yet to go to a face to face AA meeting. I have however been reading the big book and am on this site and another that i read daily. I was 40 days sober and then had got drunk out of the blue. Then two days later drank four beer. My one worry is i never know if that first drink will lead to drunken insanity and blacking out or just have a few drinks. Its like playing russian roulette. I haven't had anything to drink since so i am on day 15 if counting. I have been off work since the end of Nov on medical leave and after about a month being off i decided i wanted to quit drinking. What i don't know is if i should go into a treatment place or just start going to meetings. Maybe what i really need to do is learn to live life one day at a time. I realize i need to work on me but i am not that brave. I also don't know know if i can be honest enough to have success in a recovery program.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Use and try every option available.

One cannot have enough support fighting this thing. Don't do like I did, I was stubborn and tough I could handle this one my own. Going to an outpatient meeting monday. Can't wait.

Glad you posted
Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am glad you're here. It has been a great source of support for me. I have trouble living one day at a time myself so I have to make it 1 hr at a time. It helps. Hope to hear from you often on here.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, glad you decided to post.
I was in the same boat as you, I never knew where that first drink would take me. And it took me to some very bad places.
Treatment place or AA is up to you. Whichever you feel comfortable with.
And the honesty thing, I was a compulsive liar while drinking. To cover the tracks of my destruction, mostly. Turns out the people who stuck by me all knew I was a liar and a drunk anyway.

In AA you'll find people just like you. You don't even have to say anything, except maybe it's your first meeting. That would be honest. You'll here people in AA being brutaly honest so maybe that would help you and honesty.

Whatever path you take, I wish you well.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why not give AA a good try? Go to several meetings to see if it's for you. Can't hurt and might help.

SR can provide a lot of cyber support. Any time you feel like drinking just come here and post and ask for help. We are glad to support you in your goal towards sobriety.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You will find lots of different ideas about recovery methods here, so take a look around and see what sounds good to you.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! great to have you onboard!!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hopeforme2014 View Post
Hello everyone, I guess i just want to share some things about me so i can try to connect with people here and not just lurk as i have been most of the time. And i have yet to go to a face to face AA meeting. I have however been reading the big book and am on this site and another that i read daily. I was 40 days sober and then had got drunk out of the blue. Then two days later drank four beer. My one worry is i never know if that first drink will lead to drunken insanity and blacking out or just have a few drinks. Its like playing russian roulette. I haven't had anything to drink since so i am on day 15 if counting. I have been off work since the end of Nov on medical leave and after about a month being off i decided i wanted to quit drinking. What i don't know is if i should go into a treatment place or just start going to meetings. Maybe what i really need to do is learn to live life one day at a time. I realize i need to work on me but i am not that brave. I also don't know know if i can be honest enough to have success in a recovery program.

Welcome Welcome Welcome and Congratulations on taking the steps to get here. I tried staying sober on my own by just putting down the drink... and it lasted 6 months.. I was miserable and eventually i picked back up.. I am now 10 months sober by the Grace of God and the Program I live with AA. I would suggest picking up a small book called Living Sober, and also getting a Big Book.. I think awareness is a huge help to us Alcoholics..by understanding the nature of our disease, I am able to make better choices in life, I wish you the best and definitely keep coming back!!!

Good luck!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Welcome Hopeforme
Lots of us here on SR are trying to change or lives and we do not really know how to do it -yet! Glad you are here.