Notices

Lent?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Lent?

Ash Wednesday, I am considering observing Lent for the first time in over a decade.

37 days clean and sober today so, it begs the question, what should I do different for Lent...

Anyone out there new in recovery that may be considering this as well?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too, give up something each year for Lent. I take my family to Ash Wednesday service every year. This way we make sure its nice and official.
Three years ago I gave up drugs and alcohol. Two years ago it was also drugs and alcohol. Then over the course of that summer I stopped for good. Last year it was internet forums. This year I'm giving serious consideration to my latest addiction......Cherry Coke.

UGH!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I have landed on giving up Facebook for Lent.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Had a priest say several years back instead of giving up something, do something!
I liked that idea better
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Captain, I like that a lot!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like the idea of doing something however.....
I'm on day 62 ( start of) and I have developed one hell of a chocolate addiction.

I am going to forego chocolate for lent.

Help
Old 03-05-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There was a really elderly gentleman that my dad (now deceased) used to drink with in his local bar, I got to see him and shake his hand now and again when we'd both go out at the weekend for a drink.

This gentleman used to not come to the bar during lent, I remember asking my dad where he was one day, and he replied "oh he observes lent" . . . I remember joking with my dad "you could do that too" to which he just laughed.

In hindsight that was the difference between a normal and problem drinker, it never even entered my dad's head that it was even an option, this other gentleman could turn the switch without a problem, and for me I would have had to try really hard if I was to achieve not drinking back then during lent, that was a clear sign that I wasn't a normal drinker for me to go even 1 day without drinking.

Having already become Sober, I can't do anything different, so "going on" something might be my best way forward!!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

I've already given up just about everything, so I am adding TO this year instead.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like to add something, also. This year it is a gratitude journal: listing 3 things per day and then a prayer of thanksgiving.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with captainzing's priest. Just think how much better the world would be, even if just for 40 days, instead of giving up things like candy, internet, or facebook, Christian's around the world instead gave something of themselves instead! I think that would be an amazing 40 days!!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I like to add something, also. This year it is a gratitude journal: listing 3 things per day and then a prayer of thanksgiving.
I like this idea a lot

I am giving up worrying about things for Lent. I used to drive myself crazy...

Now I am just going to go with the flow.

I am reminded of this quote from The Simpsons:

Lisa: So, Bart, have your insides been gnawed away by guilt yet?
Bart: Sell it to Hallmark, sis. You're looking at Cucumber boy, as in "Cool as a.

I want to have a positive attitude. No point in doing something if you are not going to do it with a smile and without being all grumpy.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too haven't observed Lent in years, but will this year. Partly because as the first Sober Lent in my adult life, and I want to continue on with this trend I have going of NOT being so selfish. It's also my daughters first year of CCD, so it's time to reinforce things at home that she is learning.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The word Lent means springtime and so I am going to take my new sobriety as a rebirth and try to give myself a push toward personal growth. In doing so I hope to also give back each and everyday to someone who is looking for answers in their life too. I hope to give of myself instead of thinking of myself.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I'm giving up moaning xxxxx
Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My sobriety start date has been just before Lent, so alcohol is the obvious choice. I plan to dedicate some of the time in the evenings when I would otherwise have been drunk to prayer, meditation and reading uplifting and up-building literature. For almsgiving I plan to calculate what I would have normally spent on alcohol and split it between a charity and having some in my pocket to help beggars that I meet when I'm out and about in the city.