Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Today I been feeling REALLY down, more down than I have ever been in my life

Notices

Today I been feeling REALLY down, more down than I have ever been in my life

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nate,

Exactly, how far is it to the jail ?

If it's 10-15 miles, you can cycle there in an hour, with an hour back. if you're saving 15 bucks each way, that money saved will come in handy to pay fines ; and all.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but there's a bunch of us old dudes that crank out 100-120 miles a week. You're young and strong, but probably just don't have any experience with vehicular cycling (yet !?! )

I was about your age when I first tried a 30 mile ride. I can still remember how crazy it sounded when a buddy proposed we ride to the next town over. !?! < I seriously thought he was jokin' >

Hope you'll reconsider getting on a bike. .......

It'll show you're motivated, taking responsibility, and getting the ef'n show on the road.

take care
Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know your situation sucks, Nate, but think it through. This is not to minimize what you're going through, just a cognitive exercise to help you change your thinking. Right now there are people in prison that have no freedom; right now there are people with no family at all; right now there are people who have no legs to even think about walking anywhere. There are literally millions of people who have it a lot worse than you do right now.

Like someone else said- you were planning to be a Marine so it goes without saying you're tough. So act tough! I say this out of love, not hate, so don't misunderstand. But there's nothing that will make you feel more free than to man up and own up to the mess you're in! Right now your family isn't sick of you, not the real you. They're probably sick of the lies and excuses, sick of being let down. That won't change overnight. You're gonna have to earn their love and trust.

In the mean time, you have us! If you've spent time reading the forums here you'll find that a lot of us came back from some pretty low points. The one thing all of us have in common here is that booze nearly destroyed us. When you think about it we're the lucky ones! We now have a chance. You have legs to walk. You're not in prison. Thank God that you never killed anyone during your DUIs. I get chills when I think about all the times I drove drunk before I quit drinking. My old roommate and I would argue the next day about who drove home because neither of us knew how we got back!

I don't mean to minimize what you're going through. It sucks, and I know it. But if you use this pain and $hittiness to grow you can look back on this time someday and laugh. That sounds crazy now but it's true.

Hang in there, man. It really can get better. When you're going through hell...keep going!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Someone said it earlier, "I would suggest AA meetings as a free, immediate and extremely helpful way of connecting with others in person."

Get to a meeting and put your hand up, and let people know where you are... We are here to help, we can only keep it by giving it away.

Originally Posted by natehamburg View Post
btw all I have no problem not drinking during the week its just the weekend today is 4 days with no drink. I am a binge drinker when I drink I go for days.
and regarding your statement above, you are still an alcoholic... once we get started, we can't control it, or stop. Its a physical allergy to alcohol with a mental obsession, we all suffer from it, no matter how we drank.

Good luck and God bless
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nate what is done is done. If you want to feel sorry for yourself then schedule 10 minutes each day and sit alone in a room somewhere and do that. Get it out of your system and then spend the rest of the day taking proactive steps to improve your situation. Things very well may get worse. You may very well end up in jail. Quite frankly, that is the way it should be on the second go. We are all rooting for you, but we can't do for you. Man, you have got capacity within yourself that you don't even know! You are going to have to rebuild your future on action at a time. And because of your drinking you're starting farther back than many, but you are still ahead of others. Count your blessings, figure out what you want, develop a plan for getting there and then work the plan. I said it before... I would trade places with you to get those 25 years back.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nate,
Whatever job you can get, be THANKFUL for it. The hourly wage that is given is more than you have now, and this will help you to put your life back into working order. If you have to walk to the Jail, walk. If you have to bike to the jail, bike. If you can get the bus to take you to a certain location, then go there and walk or bike the rest of the way. You are not too good for any of these things. It is perfectly fine to feel bad about all of this, but what is not acceptable is giving up. Your dream or thoughts of being a Marine may have changed, but life is moving forward and you have no choice but to move with it. You will see that all of this hard work will be worth it in the end. We are here to support you. One day at a time. I know that you are not able to go to boot camp now, but all this walking and biking will at least resemble the physical part of boot camp, no?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dirk626 View Post
Nate what is done is done. If you want to feel sorry for yourself then schedule 10 minutes each day and sit alone in a room somewhere and do that. Get it out of your system and then spend the rest of the day taking proactive steps to improve your situation. Things very well may get worse. You may very well end up in jail. Quite frankly, that is the way it should be on the second go. We are all rooting for you, but we can't do for you. Man, you have got capacity within yourself that you don't even know! You are going to have to rebuild your future on action at a time. And because of your drinking you're starting farther back than many, but you are still ahead of others. Count your blessings, figure out what you want, develop a plan for getting there and then work the plan. I said it before... I would trade places with you to get those 25 years back.
I have already spent the minimum time in jail so I believe ill stay free. I have a good lawyer that is doing a favor for my mom and respresnting me too. so thats a plus. I am going out job hunting today so pray I get something guys!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good luck Nate, I wish nothing but the best for you and kudos for you not giving up and saying it is all too hard. It shows your strength of character. Keep us posted x
Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When you're at the bottom that means there's nowhere to go but up. Take advantage of your situation to improve yourself. You can do this. As to counseling, I go to a counselor and find it very helpful.

AA is also very helpful and is free.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
When you're at the bottom that means there's nowhere to go but up. Take advantage of your situation to improve yourself. You can do this. As to counseling, I go to a counselor and find it very helpful.

AA is also very helpful and is free.
I will be attending an AA meeting tomorrow or saturday.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's good news, Nate. You gotta start somewhere, and that's as good a place as any. I expect you'll find work, too.