Notices

Why former drunks make excellent runners..

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why former drunks make excellent runners..

..found this on the net..am myself a runner but of course alcohol has been ruining my training.

Former drunks make unstoppable runners - Salon.com
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's true!!! I have found that running is a tremendous aid to recovery..... it's an excellent, healthy addiction in itself, helps counteract the damage we did to our bodies, and is a fantastic natural anti-depressive, anti-anxiety, stress outlet.

I think everyone in recovery ought to add running to their regimen if their physical condition allows it!

thanks for sharing
Old 03-05-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i would say that running esp.. very long distance running is very addictive. I don't know how..but it is
Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a long distance runner and I want to get back to where i was. Hopefully last years drinking hasnīt completely ruined my body and I can get back into shape
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Racinf For Recovery

This may be more local to my area but this gentleman who started this is a recovery addict. He has turned his life around and you can check him out here. racingforrecovery. com Toledo Drug & Alcohol Counseling Alternative, Support Groups, Mentoring, Motivational Speaking, Assessments & Addiction Recovery Services | Racing for Recovery - With Sobriety, Anything is Possible[/url]. I plan on going for my first run in 4 years, sad to say the last run I did was the Chicago 1/2 Marathon. How far I have fallen.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never could run very long distance - I usually ran 4 miles 2-3 days a week, but running was also a big part of my early recovery. I used to sit on the front steps of my apt building and recover from the run, and I would get this really peaceful feeling (endorphin release?) that I only get from really hard physical work. Nice payoff and a phenomenal way to cope with stress
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my brother in law runs from 50 up to 100 miles straight in some races even through back trails in mountain terrain. This is not a joke and he says he loves it. I don't get it but to each their own
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
I never could run very long distance - I usually ran 4 miles 2-3 days a week, but running was also a big part of my early recovery. I used to sit on the front steps of my apt building and recover from the run, and I would get this really peaceful feeling (endorphin release?) that I only get from really hard physical work. Nice payoff and a phenomenal way to cope with stress
My days of long distance are over to hard on the knees and ankles. Think I am going to try to hone in on the 5K runs.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Laura and CM, I look forward to hearing you reach your milestones in running and training. Remembering that I have to train first thing in the morning goes far in neutralizing thoughts of drinking. Spoil yourselves by buying a wild looking pair of brightly colored running shoes!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cabo... yep. That's me. I've only done marathons so far but this summer is my first Trail 50k, along with a few marathons again and my first Xterra triathlon. If all goes well, I'm upping the game to my first 50 miler and I have the hundy in my sights!!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

there's a guy in my AA home group in his late 50's with over 20 years sobriety..... he does 50's and 100's regularly. #bada**!!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have this funny image of a skinny guy running holding a scotch on the rocks....those two additions don't go together
Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Cabo... yep. That's me. I've only done marathons so far but this summer is my first Trail 50k, along with a few marathons again and my first Xterra triathlon. If all goes well, I'm upping the game to my first 50 miler and I have the hundy in my sights!!

owl I don't know whats wrong with you people..but that is impressive
Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I call it "Addiction Gone Right".

Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks that was a great article. It kept me laughing. So I guess there is a bright side to it. I used to run everyday. Nothing long distance but I know about the runner's endorphin high and that sweet mental clarity and well being that comes with it. Maybe my running kept the alcohol in check or when I couldn't run anymore the alcohol was a substitute. Either way doing as much of it as I can has helped me tremendously.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Thanks that was a great article. It kept me laughing. So I guess there is a bright side to it. I used to run everyday. Nothing long distance but I know about the runner's endorphin high and that sweet mental clarity and well being that comes with it. Maybe my running kept the alcohol in check or when I couldn't run anymore the alcohol was a substitute. Either way doing as much of it as I can has helped me tremendously.
Here ya go Cabo.
How to Get a Runner's High: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am planning to run a marathon late this spring...I have ran regurlarly, but also been drinking in excess a few times a week. I am guessing if I quit totally it will be possible. Otherwise not...
Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I also like running. I do it on the treadmill. I don't run too much, about 1/2 hour or so before my feet hurt, but I would like to improve on that.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Run baby run!

Endorphins after a run total peace. Natural high. Level headed rest of the day. Calms depression. Hard part is finding time and energy for me.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I usually find the energy around mile 2