Notices

50 days in and not feeling it..

Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 days in and not feeling it..

I'm 50 days sober and did it mostly for weight loss which hasn't really happened but less puff and bloat.. feeling much better physically although I'm depressed as ever and nostalgic for the drinking life. I think I'm going through extreme depression now. This is the longest I've been sober in 5 years of daily drinking.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi cocopuff

I don't know how long you drank for, but 50 days is probably a little too soon to see results, emotionally - it took me around 3 months to feel I was consistent in my emotions again.

while some do lose weight, other don't.

You may need to give more thought to, or consult someone about, your diet and an exercise regime?

D
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're still very early in sobriety and these feelings are part of the process. After almost 2years sober I still get nostalgic for what I thought were the good times when I drank, enjoyed and got away with it...now I play the tape all the through and I clearly see what will happen if I try it again. I'm stealing a line from you...

When your past calls, don't answer. It has nothing new to say.

Keep moving forward and congratulations on 50 days!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Don't hang up your towel yet! Your brain has been used to the same thing for the last 5 years. It will take more than 50 days to retrain it in your new life.

Keep in mind that there will be lulls and highs, just try to recognize the bad days as a means to something greater. Give yourself time to heal.

Maybe seek some medical attention to address the depression or, if you already are, discuss the ongoing emotions with your doctor.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi cocopuff

I don't know how long you drank for, but 50 days is probably a little too soon to see results, emotionally - it took me around 3 months to feel I was consistent in my emotions again.

while some do lose weight, other don't.

You may need to give more thought to, or consult someone about, your diet and an exercise regime?

D
Yeah.. I've been working on it gym 3-5 days a week and dieting.
Maybe my emotions are out of whack. I like to have them totally numb hence the massive amounts of booze.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes I just want to go on a binge and say forget it but know it isn't the answer right now. I've never been so healthy and sober in years. I really neglected myself in some cases and stopped taking care of myself.

I feel so disconnected from people no matter where I go and what I do.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 50 Cocopuff !

I feel for ya, been feeling down low myself lately. A little sunshine seems to help some, but this endless Winter and this crappy night job ain't helpin alot.

Feeling a little better today, just knowing I'm quittin !?!

Besides kicking the booze out of your diet, are you changing other stuff ?

Some folks down on the Healthy Eating Thread seem to get some pretty good results cutting certain things.

They claim , if ya eat good stuff and workout some, you'll be beautiful in no time !?!

I got nothing. My back still hurts from picking up a million sticks last week.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, cocopuff3315...it's early in the process and your emotions are probably going a bit wild right now. The first few months were rough for me emotionally, then things leveled out. Then it got worse again around eights months. For me the frustrations I used to suppress with booze bubbled to the surface and I would have bouts of irrational anger. But that subsided, too.

One of the reasons I initially used to convince myself to stop drinking was also to lose weight. There's no diet plan that allows for 2500 empty booze calories! At first it didn't help much since I turned to sweets to make up for the lack of booze, but now (17 months later) I've been eating much better and losing weight.

Let me stress one thing- even if you never lose and ounce, quitting drinking is still a great idea.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time to 'even out'. It takes a while to become fully healed from the damage alcohol did to us. Keep at it. Change will come!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well kudos to you, it took me 4.5 months to get motivated to get back to the gym. Make sure you are staying hydrated as that can cause the mood swings. If you are feeling physically better already, the best is yet to come.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't forget to eat well too Cocopuff - since you are working out that much you'll want to eat a lot of protein and drink lots of water. The ups and downs of blood sugar and energy levels that occur when we drink need to level out.

As far as feelings go, it is completely normal to go through a period of "mourning" for drinking, and to be uncomfortable with the feelings you have. While you don't want to drink, it can feel "sad" to know the one thing you used to count on to feel better is no longer on the table. The key is to find a different way to process your emotions. In the meantime, try and work on accepting feelings that are not uplifting ones - it's ok to feel down - it's part of being human. Loneliness, the blues... these feelings pass. Until 50 days ago you would drink to get rid of these feelings, but you know that approach will kill you now. You're now in a space of searching for a new way to feel. I would suggest finding some sort of support to help you find a new way of thinking - whether through a counselor or group, there are lots of options out there. It's really an exciting time! You can define a whole new way to live from here forward - and that choice is something that 51 days ago was not available to you! Hang in there!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I am at an ideal weight today and can vouch that not drinking is an effective weight management plan. In my mind it would be extremely depressing to have to buy a new wardrobe a few sizes larger due to alcohol-related weight gain.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cocopuff,
Very nice work on the 50 days!! I, too, had highs and lows. My counselor put it into perspective for me by saying that you are mourning the loss of a friend, Booze. It does suck at times, and like Dee stated, at 3 months I felt like the lows were definitely not a low. They were less frequent, shorter in duration, and easier to snap out of...

Amd from. A weight loss perspective, I actually gained weight the first 45 days of recovery. It will take your body some time to adjust. You are doing great! Smile, you deserve it
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 days!

There is a lot of good advice upthread. Our bodies have so much healing to do. I find that my mood is better when I have lots of whole foods in my diet, including healthy fats.

Hang in there, seek some professional advice and/or peer support, and make sure you're finding enjoyable ways to spend your time.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support here.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Good job. Stick with it. It is hard and worth it.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I felt I could really relate to this youtube video as an alcoholic. I identify with everything he says.
It is a good link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yHN...f00Mdw&index=3