Notices

How bad do the consequences have to be

Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How bad do the consequences have to be

I just read a thread here (among so very many) moaning about the consequences of drinking. I guess we addicts probably agree we should have "consequences" but only up to a point before they become "unfair" and out of proportion to the "crime".

I have certainly thought that way, and I have to say on my bad days I can still think that way, but until the sh** really hit the fan, I paid all the prices and ... eventually went back to alcohol. I doubt NOW I will ever drink again as the consequences I would face (jail or having killed someone) are finally too awful!!

I had to get to a point where the consequences REALLY HURT.

Consequences take away chunks of our lives, relationships, money, opportunities. chunks of other peoples' lives and souls. We are not totally to blame; we have a condition that helps us become addicts and we are not responsible for that. What we are responsible for is living forward with the reality of our handicap.

Is it fair that people suffer consequences when they become amputees? Or get cancer? We don't think of those as "consequences" but as "unfortunate outcomes", "tragedies", very sad stories. And yet, those people have NO POWER to change what has happened, only the power to make the best of it.

We addicts have the ability to learn, accept what happened, and do what it takes to not have it happen again. We are truly fortunate.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's possible to have compassion and feel empathy for people who are suffering, while accepting that the consequences are a result of our inability to deal with our addiction problem?

I know I beat myself over the head with a very big stick for a long time.

I didn't really need anyone else doing it too...but I understand now why they did

D