Notices

Blood test & liver results

Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood test & liver results

Hey,

Starting week three being without booze. So far so good... I went to take a blood test few months ago after holidays and few rough weekends and finally went to my GP to see the results today... and the levels were high... like really high. Of course the tests were taken when I was still hitting the bottle fairly hard but still.

I am going to take another test in a month when I hopefully will be six weeks clear of alcohol and see if the levels have gone down.

My GP told me to drink a lot of water and eat greens and basically live healthy. I was also told not to panic since I am only 30 and liver will heal itself in time, but that said I still kind of panicked big time.

Does anybody have any tips of what kind of greens or natural herbs could possibly speed this liver cleaning process?

Cheers!
<3
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice in on reaching week 3!

I am in a similar situation, around week 3 and had bloods taken yesterday to asses what damage I've actually done over the years. I'm 26 and was told similar, not sure if in over panicking however the GP didn't seen overly bothered at damage, I had to push for the tests.

Other than general fruit and veg, he said blueberries and cranberries were good as well as things like green tea to aid digestion and take work off the liver.

Hope it keeps going well
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ahh good shout!

I don't even know why that didn't pop in my mind!

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The liver function tests show how battered the liver is right now, they are not an accurate indicator of long term damage. So try to relax, your doctor knows what he is talking about.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mr. Ben, so what test can show long-term liver damage just curious thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think Ultra Sounds or CT scans show more extensive damage. The FibroScan is also a non invasive technique (Of course I'm too terrified to do any of this until I have some sobriety under my belt)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a bit worried I'm veering into the territory of medical advice here actually.

Ask your doctor. If there was a serious suspicion of liver damage following blood tests, I'm certain they would follow it up.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do not jump into taking supplements, minerals and vitamins without checking with your dr.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What Lawgirl said. Milk thistle at a minimum dose (one capsule per day) worked for me. Don't want to overdo it on herbals but that one is well documented as beneficial to liver healing for thousands of years. This from the National Cancer Institute site:

Laboratory studies demonstrate that silymarin functions as an antioxidant, stabilizes cellular membranes, stimulates detoxification pathways, stimulates regeneration of liver tissue, inhibits the growth of certain cancer cell lines, exerts direct cytotoxic activity toward certain cancer cell lines, and may increase the efficacy of certain chemotherapy agents.

Also a multi and a B-50 vitamin with your breakfast meal. And as mentioned by others - eat well, drink lot's of water, get some moderate exercise every day.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fruits and vegetables are always good for you.

A balanced diet should do the trick.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

your system needs time to cleanse and heal before you do dumping a bunch of random supplements in!!! there is not quick fix here....your doctor SAID to do what again? drink water, eat greens, live healthy.

best thing i ever did for myself was get to a naturopath - we put me on the road to health, starting with a 6 week metabolic clearing - a strict elimination diet for 14 days, then reintroducing/challenging foods for another 4 weeks. the second best thing i did was buy a NutriBullet and drink wonderfully healthy shakes each day - with kale or spinach or chard, apples, pears, oranges, ginger, coconut water, almond milk, flax seed - on and on. i've never ingested so damn many fruits and veggies in my LIFE!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys - personal experience only please.

Here is our SR medical advice rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
There is a line between sharing about our experiences and giving specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

Even something as natural as milk thistle may interact with other medicines and may not be suitable treatment for some kinds of liver damage

We are a peer support group here. We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

I'm surprised the Dr didn't give you any guidelines Dino.
Like Anna said, best to run any supplement ideas past your doctor.

D
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dino, I know everyone is different but when I was drinking my liver enzymes were in the 200s, four months after I quit they were in the teens. The liver is an amazing organ.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Received my test results two days ago and it scared the crud out of me. I'm following the same dietary path (lots of fruits/veggies). I meet with my Dr to come up with a full plan next week. Good to hear from you. Keep posting!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder Dee. Won't happen again.