Notices

2nd DUI this saturday :(

Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 2nd DUI this saturday :(

I just finished paying stuff off from one 2 years ago and I get another one the other night....my life is over. I was enlisting in the Marines now my recruiter says there is not much he can do for me. My car was also impounded and If i dont get it out in 30 days they keep it. I have to go to the jail 2x a day for a breathalyzer. what do I do guys....I dont even feel like living. im a drunk loser 25 year old.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are not a loser Nate - you have an illness just like the rest of us. Don't give up. Ask for help. Can you speak to your family to help or friends. Please stay close to us here at SR. You will find a lot of support here. I know today looks bleak but it is not the end by a long run. Let us know how you are please.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Nate.

I know this is rough - but your life's not over...you're 25...I don't know what else you're interested in, but if the Marines really are over, I know you'll find something else you're passionate about

There's more than enough time for you to get yourself together and strike out on a new path.

Let this be your bottom. Unles you really want to crash and burn, the only way from here is up, man.

D
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I have 2 pending and a hit & run. It gets better. I'm going to jail. I have found my life isn't over. U have courage for coming here. You can grow stronger from this. Let me know if u have any questions. I'm 24 days sober. Im healthy alive and happier. U can do this
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, Nate, I think going to AA meetings might show the judge that you are serious about recovery. You will meet an amazing group of people, and some of them might even be able to help you find a job.

This forum is a great resource too, but don't be shy! Post often!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't give up Nate! You have an illness and it has led you to make some bad choices. However, they are just that and do not make up who you are as a person.

At 25, I was just beginning what would be a 5-year downward spiral. It took until I was 30 to snap out of it and get my life back on track. You are YOUNG and have more than enough time to get things straightened out. Use this as an opportunity to reach out and get some help to be free of the alcohol and depression it creates. You CAN and you WILL be alright!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm pushing 50 and would trade places with you if it meant that I could quit drinking 25 years ago. Your life isn't over and it can be better than you ever thought possible.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone....I was looking for a job too and its hard enough finding a job with 1 dui...now I cant even imagine the difficulty. I feel like my dreams are over, I always wanted to be in the military. I am getting a lawyer and pleading not guilty to see what can be done.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that you will ever get into the marines. But, better it happen now than if you were already in and then you end up with a dishonorable discharge. The best thing for you is to turn things around now and live your life the best way you know how. Is this something that you'll forget about once court and punishment has passed and go back to drinking? You might say its not, but many have. Everyone makes mistakes, its unlikely that the court system will really throw the book at you. Maybe lose your license and fines. But, you messed up, and will have to take responsibility. In this day and age, everyone knows you shouldn't be driving drunk.

EDIT: I'm glad you have to go to jail 2x a day for breathalyzer. That will keep you from driving drunk

Last edited by Dee74; 03-03-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got a DUI at 25 too and had my car impounded. I had to borrow 200.00 off my friend to get my car back because my parents would not help me. I felt hopeless as well but I was able to turn it around in some respect.

I think all the advice given so far is helpful, however take it or leave it, YOU made the choice to drive drunk, the "illness" didn't make the decision to get into the vehicle and turn over the ignition. Alcohol impairs our judgement, and too much alcohol will impair the judgement of every single human being who ingests it. Us fellow alcoholics have a much higher tendency to lose judgement and control due to an "illness" or "addiction" whatever you want to call it when consuming alcohol, but that doesn't mean that it makes us less responsible.

I feel for you man, pick yourself up and dust yourself off because your life is far from over.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

im gonna go to AA or something.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi Nate
Welcome. Glad you are here for support. I am sorry you are having such a hard time - DUI and now the loss of an opportunity.
Get sober - make it your priority - and you will find another opportunity in the future. Listen to the people with more experience here. You can do it - the marines are a tough breed and if you were gonna go that route you are strong and determined and can fight this battle.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Nate, welcome aboard, lots of valid info given just now, don't give up, look ahead and take one step at a time.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hiya Nate , you are only 25 , you have your whole life ahead of you .

You have the power to fix this. I got my 2 nd DUI at 48 . It was hell taking public transport for a year .

I thought my life was over . That year went fast , got a job i love , respect from my kids .

I'm 52 .

It was the wake up call i needed to have

It's nowhere near too late for you my friend xxxx
Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
totfit

Time is on your side. Change can give you a long and happy life or.................lack of change can be painful. You have plenty of time and making changes now will let you look back and see this as just a stumble in life and an experience. Even bad experiences can help us and enrich our lives.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Nate! I know things suck right now but you're very young and just getting started- your life is not over! Instead of being defined by your failures, choose this moment to turn your life around. Make the next 50 years better than the last 5.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I know things seem impossible right now but you can turn your life around. Ask for help. Start going to AA and ask them for help in getting sober. This is not the end. It can be a new beginning for you.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As you can see, many of us have been through dui.
My advice is this- get up every morning and do what you need to do as best you can regarding court/classes/testing/probation/motor vehicles dept etc. It can be daunting to think about the whole thing but they do lay it out for you. DO NOT give them a reason to mess with you. Dont miss appts, be late, anything. Even if you have an excuse and its true, they do not care, they have heard it all. Show them that you are committed to working through the system and getting as much out of it as possible.
When you are feeling sorry for yourself (you will, its a royal PIA) remember how much worse it could have been had someone been harmed or killed. You could be sitting in a jail cell thinking about how you would give anything to "just" be going through what you are now.
Never do it again. The consequences get worse with each one. The one thing i am proud of regarding mine is that i have never once been behind the wheel since while intoxicated.
Like others have said, you are young and if you use this as a wakeup call and stop drinking now, you may come to regard it as the best thing that ever happened to you.
Good luck! We are here to support you-
Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about that Nate.

It's not over. One door closes and another one opens.

Strength to you.
B.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nate, I'm glad you posted about this.

I'm sorry that you might lose out on the Marines and have other issues to deal with legally. But, you are young and you can make a choice to turn this around and move forward in a sober life. Yes, it will make finding a job more difficult, but you can do it.