Notices

Time to face the future

Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to face the future

Hi all,

I'm new to the site. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm on my fourth day of sobriety after 10 years of progressively worse drinking...

I am dedicated to never EVER drinking again. I quit on Friday 2/28 after a week long binge that ended with 15 drinks on Wed and 15 on Thurs.

I had HORRIBLE anxiety on Friday plus a fever and nausea. Each day is getting better, but I'm still anxious and working daily to be calm. I went to a Dr. on Sunday, and she diagnosed me with Alcohol Withdrawal and ran some tests.

Unfortunately some of the liver tests came back high.

I haven't had a drink in almost 4 days, and have been eating healthy and excercising. I'm praying that I didn't _permantly_ damage my liver and other organs!!

Anyway, the Dr. Recommend that I seek out treatment and counseling which I will do. I want to make SR part of my daily routine, and wanted to say Hi.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard FacingFuture

D
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.Glad you are here.

Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks for all of the fast replies!

Did anyone deal with facial flushing as they went through initial withdrawl?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I believe flushing of the skin is common and will go away with more time. I hope the support here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, FacingFuture -
I think i had facial flushing that would come and go and actual hot flashes in withdrawal. It will pass...a week from now, you'll feel so much better.

Some good news too, is that your liver #'s may come down once you've stopped drinking for a while. It's an amazing organ...I think it was really brave (and smart) of you to go to the doctor right away.

Just take baby steps right now, to get through these first couple of weeks. I drank like a fish for over 20 years. I wish I would've quit 10 years ago like you are now!!!

Keep posting!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi FacingFuture,
Welcome! Glad to hear you went to the doctor and are feeling better. Through your exercising, eating healthy, and most importantly, not drinking, you should get back to normal. I had the flush face as well and it slowly subsided over 2-3 weeks. Good luck and stay in touch!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome FacingFuture! You found a wonderful place for friendship & encouragement. You sound very determined to have a new & better life. It's great to be free.

I had the flushing thing too. It got better after a couple weeks.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all! That makes me feel so much better. I also found a thread on itching, which I have as well. Now that I know both are normal, I'm able to calm down a bit.

Thank you all so much.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Facing Future xxxxx
Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, FacingFuture! While none of us can give medical advice it's great that you did go see a doctor. The body has a tremendous ability to heal itself once you stop poisoning it. There's a high likelihood that your liver will return to normal or very nearly normal. Let this be a wake up call, though. Now you know what will happen if you back to drinking again.

Good to have you with us!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Welcome to SR, FacingFuture! While none of us can give medical advice it's great that you did go see a doctor. The body has a tremendous ability to heal itself once you stop poisoning it. There's a high likelihood that your liver will return to normal or very nearly normal. Let this be a wake up call, though. Now you know what will happen if you back to drinking again.

Good to have you with us!
MythOfSisyphus,

Thanks for the hopeful words...

After getting the test results and SUFFERING through terrible withdrawl over the past few days, I'm 1000% dedicated to NEVER TAKE A DRINK AGAIN.

Everytime I have a symptom that is causing me anxiety, I come to SR and search, and YEP sure enough it can be caused by withdrawl. I'm very glad to have found this place and all of you.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Itching and pins and needles are apparently common in alcohol withdrawal.

Of course I've been sitting on Dr. Google all day diagnosing myself with everything. So I switched to Sober recovery instead. Figured it was healthier.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawgirl82 View Post
Itching and pins and needles are apparently common in alcohol withdrawal.

Of course I've been sitting on Dr. Google all day diagnosing myself with everything. So I switched to Sober recovery instead. Figured it was healthier.
Thanks Lawgirl. I too have been finding far better advise by searching SR than Dr. Google too.

Tonight's almost over and I haven't and won't have a drink. It was amazing to me tonight that I actually had my AV try to convince me that a drink sounded good. After the anxiety and pain I've been going through as part of the detox. Totally irrational, this disease!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SeaScape

hi and welcome
check out the 24 hour thread - you can sign in there to make a commitment to just not drink today and there is always some great advice/message from the person who organizes it!
don't drink and things will get better everyday!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Hello and welcome to SR FacingFuture. This site is a safe place that I can come and read or post anytime I need to rest my alcoholic mind. Hope that you will continue to take advantage of the resources.

Congrats on day 5 now!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drinking for us is like playing Russian Roulette. I drank like a fish for 25 years and somehow haven't seemed to damage my liver; at least, I have had no medical issues that I've noticed. Others have had significant issues with much less time and booze under their belts. The only safe thing to do is quit now! No use crying over spilt milk, what's past is past.