Notices

anyone dealing with legal issues?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

anyone dealing with legal issues?

Just wondering how those with legal issues in conjunction with their addictions are coping.

I have 2 pending DWI's in 2 different counties. 1 of which has a Hit & Run attached to it. I spent 3 weeks in county jail after my last arrest before my family bonded me out.

I'm losing my license for a year and possibly forever. I'm facing a probable 3-6 month sentence for jail time, unless I get time deferred in favor of treatment, and massive amounts of fines.

Is/was anyone else in a similar position? I'm doing much better with anxiety recently in my recovery. I've been sober a month and this is the only real issue that is severely hampering me.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've gone through legal issues around DUI twice, plus a hit-run incident around which the charges were not pursued.

While it sounds like your situation is more serious in terms of consequences I think the general concept is the same; You must simply hold faith that all will unfold from here in accordance with your highest good. Stay sober, commit to your consequences (get the best legal help you can to try and minimize those) and focus on doing the Next Right Thing.

There will be a time when this is all in your rearview mirror and whatever the situation may be then - if you stay the course of sobriety and doing your best to make every day its best - you will look back and see how far you've come.

Hang in there. I'm sure the road ahead will be challenging for a while. But, it is within your power to get yourself to a better place.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I am focused in this go around. I'm ready to face whatever my punishment is. I've resided there is a limited amount I can control in regards to the legal system at this point. Just having some issues not thinking about it. Oh, well, I've worked out for 2-3 hours a day since my release.....that seems to take me mind off stuff.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had three DUIs with little consequence, but I know right where you are worrying about it. That was the worst part- not knowing what was going to happen.

I did have to do 280 hours of community service and I must say it was quite humbling.

Try to stay in each day is my best advice. Pray and you will make it through the woods and be a better person for it.

I didn't drive for two years. Also very humbling. I am on day 22, but while I was on my relapse bender I could have easily been popped for another DUI. I must say that knowing the inevitable arrest would come sped up my willingness to stop and return to recovery after three weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Make a sign in sheet for yourself and get it signed at each meeting you attend and present it to your judge. My sponsor went with me to court also.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

all my treatments at my IOPT's and AA's will be documented. I'm not too concerned in regards of my penalty to the number of DWI's. I have 4 total and this is my second hit & run. My main concern is that I have 3 charges pending (2DWI's and 1 H&R). This is nearly mandatory jail time in my state. We'll see. I'm just trying to focus on sobriety right now. I can't do anymore about my court dates except stay the course.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The arrests all stopped once I stopped drinking.
Might a coincidence huh?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Man, just be glad you didn't kill anyone. This will be just another thread in the tapestry of your life - if you don't drink again.

Get a good lawyer, and follow their advice. Your lawyer will have dealt with these issues before, and will understand the law and the courts. It might be some time before trial or sentencing so put it out of your mind and let your lawyer worry about it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I'm nearly one month sober. This is my second serious attempt at sobriety in 10 years as an alcoholic. Last time I was sober for a year. This time my goal is forever. I've finally come to grips with the thought of never drinking again. Not being able to drink. I'm completely comfortable with it. It's not scary any longer knowing alcohol isnot an option. As a matter of fact, it's invigorating.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a grand larceny plus about 8 other charges stemming from a black out incident. Waking up in jail and not remembering how you got there finally made me realize my drinking problem.