Notices

No one ever has a good relapse

Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No one ever has a good relapse

A friend who disappeared from AA a few months ago texted me last night at 2 am...said she was drinking again and miserable. Stuck back in that vicious cycle. I picked her up tonight and we went to a meeting. She smelled like alcohol but was not out of it...she cried all the way there and then some more. Another man at the meeting came back this week. His wife and son are living in a shelter right now because he lost his job due to this disease. At one point he had quite a few years sober. I think about drinking probably as much as most alcoholics do. But when I see and hear the pain in these people's voices and eyes I remember that sobriety is the easier and softer way. Even when life seems to suck, it's much less suckier sober! I have not heard one person yet come back to AA or on here and say "hey guys, that was great! I had such a wonderful time!" Or "I can drink normally now "....I will trust my fellows when they tell me how bad it really is out there. Prayers for all the still sick and suffering tonight <3
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The disturbing part is how quickly they go spiraling out of control.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Yes, relapse sucks! No matter how much I crave alcohol or how bad something seems, I remind myself that relapsing is worse. And I focus on how much I love being sober! For me, sobriety is so much easier than drinking.

Good of you to take your friend to a meeting. Glad she trusted you enough to text you when she needed help.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
The disturbing part is how quickly they go spiraling out of control.
This is my fear. I know if I went back I would be right back where I ended if not worse. I think it would kill me to be honest.

Yes sending out positive thoughts and prayers for those still suffering.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had one lapse thus far and that was enough to remind me how much it sucks. It actually sort of prevented me from going out tonight, even though I had planned to, to begin with, and then had every triggering reason to after some difficult stuff came up in a conversation I was having. I'm not about to get out of control again just yet in an aspect of my life when I've finally gained control of something for once.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Relapsing is painful sucks you back In deeper and deeper, but doesn't matter how many time we fall flat on our face we are still moving forward we only fail if we stop trying. If I didn't relapse I would not have believed I was truly alcoholic it's a journey that ain't for the faint hearted. I remember when this girl kept coming to meetings relapsing all the time and I used to see the pain on her face, I would wonder WHY does she keep doing that to herself ???? Well god showed me a WHY omg now I have a lot more humility and hopefully be able to help someone else like all of you have helped me x
Old 03-02-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I just know that if I take that first drink.... IT'S ON!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

The best news of that story was that they came back and tried again. Just when you think you have hit rock bottom, you can always go even lower. I know that I tested that theory and proved it quite true.

I feel for all of the alcoholics and drug addicts that are struggling and feel that there is no hope or no way out. You must be willing and able to help yourself. Everyone can want it for you, you may want it to please others but in the end, it is for you and you alone.

Best wishes to all of you out there who are seeking answers and hoping for a better life.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wise words - thank you for sharing.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had more than my share of relapses and yes, they do suck.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think for some that realisation that they cant drink comes from a confident just the one, after a time sober , and for some it helps to finally focus on finding sobriety rather than not drinking.
It's so important to get straight back as soon as possible, otherwise it can be years, certainly not worth a relapse.
Good luck to all,
John.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

yes relapses are painful, terrible, demoralizing and soul destroying.

thank god for recovery.

v
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my last relapse was just that - my LAST relapse. the withdrawals nearly physically killed me.

i'm on day 6 today. i'm making a change and working at my sobriety and i feel so much better. it's incredible. i never want to go back out there.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank God or your HP for AA meetings,
which is a great place to learn how to
stay sober.

To Learn, absorb and apply to everyday
life. Then start collecting all that knowledge
and put it in the bank to draw on for yrs.
to come.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So true!!!!

I did not go to a glamorous night club or huge party. I CAN'T DO THAT. If I drink in public I will make an ass out of myself so I just stayed home and drank alone.

NOT FUN. I was pathetic.