Notices

Rehab or no rehab?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab or no rehab?

I should have included this topic on my report of the day. I do have a question. So many people I meet have been to rehab. Some several times. I haven't ever been. How do you know if you should go or not? I would rather NOT go but I don't know how those kind of decisions are made. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to rehab and I believe it saved my life.
I needed to be somewhere where I would be able to get completely sober for a number of weeks. I do not think I would have been able to do it myself. Even when I got home, it took all I could muster the first few days to not just give in.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it depends on you and your situation. I didn't go to rehab, but it's not realistic for me at all. I'm single with no one to support me financially or pay my bills if I were to go. Also, I don't think I needed to go. I do have a very close family member that desperately needs to go (and stay....I've taken him twice and he bailed both times). He needs it because he doesn't know how to live a productive life as an adult and his addictions are extreme. I'm definitely not downplaying my alcoholism because it is very real, but I already know how to live a responsible adult life and I know what to do. That for me and my loved one is the answers as I see it. Everyone is different though. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been to rehab and started drinking again shortly after getting out. I just wasn't ready to quit drinking. When I was ready to quit for good I didn't need rehab as I had the desire to quit within myself.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I am in out patient rehab but know I need in patient. However I have children and a business and can't just whisk away for several weeks like I'm on a vacation from life. I like IOP but I have nothing to stop me from drinking nights and weekends.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient for a week and then an all day, 5 day a week outpatient program for a month right after. The initial week was basically for detox. I had responsibilities at home, so the outpatient treatment following detox worked best for my situation. When you are considering a treatment center, they will take an initial assessment of your situation and go from there. After they did my assessment, they told me I was a good fit for their program, but the decision was mine whether I wanted to stay or walk out the door. I decided to stay. Once I was in the program, I met several people that had already been to rehab once, or several times before, so going to rehab is no guarantee of lasting sobriety. Prior to going to rehab, I did try to quit drinking a few times on my own, but could never really make it over 30 days. I did learn some new things in rehab that have helped me stay sober this time (I'm on day 96), but it is still one day at a time for me. Staying sober is work whether you go to rehab or not. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Chiming in although I haven't been.

I think that rehab is helpful on a few levels. The first is that alcohol or drug withdrawals are serious business. If you're unsure of whether you might be in trouble consult your physician and be absolutely honest with him. Now is not the time to hold back on how much you drink.

The second level is when you might not so much need it for the actual withdrawal symptoms but you know full well that if there's a chance to drink you're going to do it and you need help abstaining. You've exhausted all efforts and you know that you can't do it on your own.

Both are still going to require that you have a plan of action when you leave. Rehab or not it's still going to come down to you.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't been to rehab, but if you think it would be helpful, then do consider it.

I truly believe that motivation is the key to succeeding in recovery. So, whether or not you decide to go to rehab, if you have the motivation, you will succeed.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got to a point in time where I no longer wanted to go to work due to my drinking. Employee Assistance put me in rehab. They paid the whole bill. It was a blessing.
Mountainman
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered

When I wanted to use, nothing was going to stop me (not even being in rehab).
When I was done and ready to be sober, nothing was going to stop me.

I have been to rehab (in one form or another) 4 times. Yes, the change of environment was nice and I got some clean time under my belt. But I was not ready to work to stay clean. So for me, rehabs didn't work, *I* worked.

This last time (almost 5 years ago now), I was ready to get sober for good and would do anything to get there. I did outpatient and worked my ass off to get a PLAN together and follow the plan. I still follow the plan today. This *daily work* keeps the demon at bay for me. The urge to use left me long ago and I rarely think about it now. My old life seems like a dream, yet I know that I could go back there if I don't maintain my new brain pathways.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Why do you not want to go?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think if it it will help you if you need structure to quit, need medical supervision or just can't quit without it. As others have said, though it only works if you want sobriety. It's entirely possible to exit rehab and resume drinking immediately, it happens all the time in fact. Just as its possible to quit and be successfully sober without rehab.

Do what is best for you and your goals
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Speaking from having been in of another kind of rehab....if you think just going is going to help you, you're delusional haha. Just going thru the motions and getting out isnt going to do anything if you really aren't committed. And even if you are committed at the time that you are in there, the challenge is to remain committed once you get out. All in all, rehab won't fix you. You have to be ready to change as others have said. If you're ready, rehab will just be there as a tool to assist you if you need it (like for support or detox or whatever) as you've already decided in yourself to go in a new direction.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I got sober in AA. At the time almost everyone else was going to rehab. When faced with your dilemma my sponsor asked me if I felt the need to go. I did not, so didn't go. I found all the answers I needed in AA, by working the steps.

Understand, rehab doesn't "fix" you if you are an alcoholic of my type. It can deal with some issues and give you a good start, but permanent recovery can only be found by living a different way. AA gave me that new way of life.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

For me personally, I didn't go. First, until Sinderos posted above, I didn't even think of $ @ the time; just wanted the pain to stop & secondly even if wanted to, wouldn't have been able to afford it. So the optimistic view of going through withdrawals the hard way was I'm glad I did so when the thot returns in the future that can go out & do some R&D, the response will be resounding HELL NO
Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

for me it has been essential this time....my third recovery.....the first time got sober through detox and AA....7years second time....rehab.....2 years sober....this time rehab/halfway house...4 months sober...for me essential

v
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, all for the great responses. I guess I should have been more clear in my original post. It isn't that I don't want to go. I have nothing against it. It is just that to leave my home for a long period is very difficult. I am the primary breadwinner and we have a horse rescue farm (in addition to both of us working FT outside of the home). I think it would leave my husband with way too much on his plate. Also, our daughter is SN so she has lots of appointments she has to get to every week. It would just be better all round for me to get sober without rehab.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I got sober in rehab followed by outpatient and AA.

I was so broken that I couldn't put together 12 hours. I needed a medically supervised detox. I needed to re-learn basic life skills sober. I needed structure and guidance because MY WAY wasn't working.

Best decision I ever made. I have a high pressure, professional job and I was willing to lose it in order to go to rehab (thankfully, the decided not to fire me). I was a worthless employee as a drunk anyway. I had a long-term girlfriend and we had a fancy tropical vacation planned. I chose rehab over the vacation and she broke up with me. But I was useless as a boyfriend when I was drinking. Until I set aside time to get to rehab and work on myself, all of the responsibilities and relationships I had were falling apart anyway. When your life is at stake, you can only come up with so many excuses of why you shouldn't go.

But as others have noted, it's pointless to go until you're actually ready to surrender and accept help.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, Digdug. I do feel ready because I KNOW I am an alcoholic. There is no doubt in my mind. I know my life will be better without alcohol.