Notices

Living abroad where vodka is so so cheap!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living abroad where vodka is so so cheap!

Hello everyone,

I have been abroad for 4 years now, I have lived in China, Thailand and now Belarus. One thing all these countries have in common is "cheap alcohol" I have done my longest stretch in Belarus where Vodka is $5 for 500ml, 2 years have gone by, I have had a child and the drinks keep coming. I have been drinking constantly for 4 years to be fair, but 500 ml a day and beers for 2 years. I want this over and I want to stop. My Belurussian wife, who i met in China on work buys it for me. I have turned to the site for guidence and strength as I need and want to quit. I look forward to hearing your feed back and conversing, I feel if we are here some of us are the same that we have been where I am at before. i will blog over the time so look out for me
Old 03-02-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome spaden
you'll find a lot of support and good ideas here.

The thing with cheap booze is no matter how cheap it is you still pay a really hefty price.
You may not go broke as quick but thats about it.

first thing I would do would be to discuss with your wife what you're trying to do and why, and tell her not to buy anymore booze for you.

I'm guessing there's not much in the way of AA or other recovery groups wherever you are.

This website is available 24/7 tho - read and post as much as you like

It's never too late to change for the better - your child, your wife and you deserve better

D
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi spaden,
I experienced a similar setup in South East Asia and got wasted more times than I can recall. But when I moved back home the price didn't seem to matter anymore. If you wanted it, you got it. Strength with your recovery. Will be thinking of you getting better. B.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Spaden. Think of it as "poison is really cheap here." Would you drink poison if it is free? Basically, that is what it is to you.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can be in recovery anywhere in the world....

I just got back from Vegas. The booze there was all FREE. Doesn't get a lot cheaper than that, and people were foisting it on me constantly as I was surrounded by fellow booze-houds whom I have spent many a drunk with.

Yet I did it all sober.

It's up to you....

Also - these folks may have some direction for you;

Belarus AA - Alcoholics Anonymous (BY)

Eastern Europe is a rough place for trying to be sober to be sure. I'm reading a book about a guy who spends a year in Siberia and I have friends in Russia - and every story seems to involve Vodka. But even there you will find others who recognize the demon role alcohol plays in their lives.

Smash the myth that it is doing you any good, and you will come to know what TRULY good is.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will find a lot of understanding and support here. The question to pose to yourself is how cheap is the vodka really? What is it costing you to continue drinking it and how expensive could it become. What are you willing to pay ultimately?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is were I came to get sober. The cost of booze was easy on my budget since I only drank at home. My life is so much better without it. Good luck to you and know we are all here for you. We are in this together and I know you can do it too.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You failed to adjust your net cost for risk. Once you do I think you'll find iced tea is a better value.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Until 62 days ago, I drank that much vodka give or take each night minus the beer. (Difference is I'm an average weight female so that is a whole lot for me.) On the weekends it was closer to a fifth each day.

The cost of vodka here is relatively inexpensive as well. A half gallon of vodka (Smirnoff) was $17+ tax if you know which store to hit...of course I did. Don't use how cheap it is as an excuse. In the states, at least where I live, it's very easy to keep drinking it especially since there is a liquor store on every corner. Once you make the choice to get sober, you will do it. Ask your wife not to buy it for you any more. The first few days are the hardest, but it is so worth it. Hang in there!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I used to fin that when I lived in Spain, hence drinking myself into a stupor regularly. xxxx
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello everyone and thanks for all your comments, very true reality check. Today is Day 1.....got to start somewhere. Its so true about how much does it really cost in the end to my health. But cost isn't everything, when i don't drink I am a much happier person.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day one Spaden

D
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

this is a good place to learn how to keep the plug in the jug.

welcome dear friend and boon companion

v
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1, Spaden. Also - if you start to experience alarming withdrawal symptoms, please be sure to see a doctor to make sure you are ok. Not to scare you, but withdrawals can be serious...so just be aware of that, in case you start to feel bad.