Notices

Anxiety and food

Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and food

Hello Friends,
Please help. Not sure if this is the right place for it? I've been sober for less than a week now. I didn't sleep much last night but insomnia is nothing new to me. I'm drinking a lot of water and lucozade. This morningf I had the most intense anxiety attack. Just hugged my pugs and hunkered down. What bothers me though is that I have aboslutely no appetite at all. Been taking vitamins by the dust-bin load (not really) especially B-complex. Also I have a frequent urge to vomit (don't mean to be crude) but just have "dry heaves"
Is this normal please? Many thanks B.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

It took me a couple of months to get my appetite back. I was pretty skinny at the end of my drinking. It will come back.

I only vomited for the first day but had the shakes for weeks and weeks. It probably wouldn't hurt to go see your doctor if you are concerned about the dry heaves. That I didn't have.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bruce

I think anxiety is pretty common - I had that - but the dry heaves and the lack of appetite not so much.

Like LadyBC said, if you're concerned, a Dr is probably the best place to get your questions answered

D
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses.
I will visit my doctor tomorrow - Monday. It could be that there is very little in my stomach to begin with?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't have an appetite for like 3 or 4 days the first week I stopped drinking, but eventually it returned a bit. I dropped alot of weight too from being deficient of all of the empty calories that I was putting into my system, on top of the lack of appetite. I think it's a pretty normal symptom.

I have read alot of people saying that once you stabilize/normalize, your appetite will come back 10-fold and you will get all these cravings. I personally am the weird one and haven't craved sweets like most others I have read, but I randomly began to crave coffee after not drinking it for a year and a half. I find myself drinking alot more too. It's like the body is trying to find its homeostasis sans alcohol, whatever that means for your body.

Keep up with the vitamins...I'm taking a multivitamin too to try to get as many good things in my system that I might not otherwise get by what I am consuming.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reassurance. Can be a bit scary but I am fully determined to beat this monster.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reassurance. Can be a bit scary but I am fully determined to beat this monster.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

I had no appetite on day one, stomach cramps, dry heaves, shakes. Horrible. The mere thought of food made me sick. Your body is so used to alcohol , thats all it craves. I always forced myself to eat, always fruit, maybe some soup . Usually my appetite increased usually for sweets. The only thing i couldnt eat in the next two to three days was any kind of meat. Everyones different, but i know for myself eating was the only way to force my body out of craving the alcohol, so i sucked it up. Usually on day two still shaky and feeling horrible id force myself to do some form of exercise, walk outside, go to gym, helped my feel normal and part of society again. Mentally doing this helped with recovery. Good luck
Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Originally Posted by FlygirlJ View Post
I didn't have an appetite for like 3 or 4 days the first week I stopped drinking, but eventually it returned a bit. I dropped alot of weight too from being deficient of all of the empty calories that I was putting into my system, on top of the lack of appetite. I think it's a pretty normal symptom.

I have read alot of people saying that once you stabilize/normalize, your appetite will come back 10-fold and you will get all these cravings. I personally am the weird one and haven't craved sweets like most others I have read, but I randomly began to crave coffee after not drinking it for a year and a half. I find myself drinking alot more too. It's like the body is trying to find its homeostasis sans alcohol, whatever that means for your body.

Keep up with the vitamins...I'm taking a multivitamin too to try to get as many good things in my system that I might not otherwise get by what I am consuming.
Coffee ,, i hear you ,, I love it. I call it my drug of choice,so much ,better than alcohol.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also had no appetite initially. Just keep up with the vitamins and hydration.
Chat with the doctor about the anxiety attacks. Its usual to have anxiety and seems to improve steadily for most people
Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im on day 4 and im dry heaving a lot! I hear it does get better tho just hang in there! you are doing GREAT just keep going
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all ! Much appreciated. Apologies for the multiple posts. Am using my phone and the screen is rather small. Mods, would you kindly remove the duplicates, please? Thanks again to all. B.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

On a lighter note that dry heaving is helping to develop a 6-pack that I am keen to keep!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BruceSA View Post
On a lighter note that dry heaving is helping to develop a 6-pack that I am keen to keep!
That's one way of looking at it BruceSA LOL