SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Cravings and Food (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/324507-cravings-food.html)

Betterlife1 03-01-2014 06:00 PM

Cravings and Food

AV hit me hard early this evening! Dinner planned with the family. Nothing fancy, but holy crap, prior to going out I almost gave myself permission to drink! I think it was the combo of being hungry and knowing we were going out to a restaurant.

There are times I think I am totally in control and everything is going great. Then out of nowhere, one thought leads to another and next thing you know I'm almost ready to pour a drink!

When we got the restaurant and I started eating, everything was fine and the AV chilled out.

Please remember that eating definitely reduces or even eliminates cravings to drink alcohol!

least 03-01-2014 06:04 PM

I found that to be true as well. Less likely to crave alcohol if my stomach is full. :)

Gakx 03-01-2014 07:31 PM

I agree, best not to get hungry, it makes me go mad. But you did excellent! Amazing how it hits you like a freight train when you least expect it. Stay strong and look out for the AV ninja!

FlygirlJ 03-01-2014 07:41 PM

Imagine having a poor relationship with food to begin with, on top of alcohol, and then having to deal with the choice between the two...ugh :( :(
^^ I just needed to vent that. I really feel at times that no one can relate to it.

brazilian 03-01-2014 07:43 PM

today I did a CT scan and felt like eating a LOT, and so I did

I regret it, but at least I'm sober

LadyinBC 03-01-2014 07:49 PM

I used HALT in the beginning and I still use it.

These 4 things can be big triggers for people: Hunger, anger, lonely, tired.

When I felt/feel like drinking I always checked these 4 things first. Gives me a chance to make a list and see why I am being triggered.

HALT works!

Forghetti35 03-01-2014 08:03 PM

A fellow alcoholic told me during my stint in jail, that sweets are a good fix when you get cravings for alcohol. Apparently it appeals to the same dopamine receptors in the brain. I've been eating a good bit of dark chocolate lately. it seems to help.

Bruce292 03-01-2014 08:20 PM

Almost ablaze still you don't feel the heat
It takes all you got just to stay on the beat.
You say it's a living, we all gotta eat
But you're here alone, there's no one to compete.
If Mercy's a business, I wish it for you
More than just ashes when your dreams come true.

Fire! Fire on the mountain!

Axle 03-01-2014 08:45 PM

Food

I'm slightly addicted to Pringles and ice cream
Sugar and carbs, two weeks in, man... I don't care right now, my body is adjusting. Now it's been 26 days and I'm on to pizza, ice crea, sherbert.yogurt, chocolate chips... Blueberries,, ahh man I'm having a food relapse...gotta goooo,
Stay sober!