SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I have a problem (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/324487-i-have-problem.html)

Lance40 03-01-2014 12:39 PM

I have a problem

I need to share that I have a drinking problem. It's taken me some years to go from mild concern and thinking I have it under control to thinking I might have a problem to very recently when it is firmly settled in my mind that I have a problem and must deal with it.

I binge drink at least 1 night a week, but more often than not it's two or three nights a week. It seems like the pattern that is established is one day off and one day on. I don't deal with strong alcohol cravings, but it's become a habit that when I walk home from work and pass by the liquor store that I pop in and buy a bottle even on days when I realize I don't even feel like drinking. For some reason when I have one drink I don't stop and just keep guzzling over the course of the evening until I am at the end of the bottle.

I used to think 200ml was a lot, but now it can easily be 350ml. I love to cook and have friends over for dinner and some Saturdays I'll have a drink early afternoon when I start to cook and then I suspect it can even go much higher because I drink through the afternoon and early evening and then the guests arrive with wine.

Although I tend to hold my alcohol well I short change and cheat my spouse because I'm either not really present because I'm drunk or the next evening I'm super tired from being hung over and not sleeping well the night before. I miss having a great night's sleep and waking up bright and early feeling well rested and excited to get on with the day.

I don't really know what else to say. I just felt like I needed to share and make a public commitment that I am saying no to alcohol and that for perhaps the very first time in my life I am willing to accept that it should be for a lifetime because moderation doesn't work for me.

least 03-01-2014 12:45 PM

Welcome to the SR family. :) You've made a wise decision to stop drinking. And we are here to support you in that goal. :hug:

Dee74 03-01-2014 02:56 PM

Welcome to SR Lance :)
Glad you've joined us - lots of support, advice and understanding here :)

If you feel your drinking is more habitual, why not mix your nightly routine up a little?

D

KateL 03-01-2014 03:04 PM

Welcome Lance xxx

Ghostlight1 03-02-2014 05:25 AM

Hello, and welcome.
Moderation never worked for me, eiether. One drink and I was off to the races with no telling when the binge might end.

You're wise to realize you may have a problem now, because alcoholism is progressive.
It was for me. I went from a binger to an every day drinker over the years after I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism.

Save yourself the misery I went through for many years and try to stop now.
There are support groups that many find helpful, and of course, you can always come here.

Best to you and great to have you aboard.

Anna 03-02-2014 05:40 AM

Welcome, Lance!

Giving up the idea of moderating drinking is a big step. I'm glad you've made that decision and I hope you keep reading and posting.

FreeOwl 03-02-2014 05:50 AM

welcome Lance....

I can relate to a lot of what you said - and from two months into sobriety I can tell you it feels SO much better to be sober.

:ring

GotGrace 03-02-2014 06:00 AM

Welcome Lance! You are not alone!

Lance40 03-02-2014 08:36 AM

Thank you all for the replies and warm welcome. It's really encouraging, and although it's just the 2nd day I woke up this morning before my alarm and felt thankful for a new day.

My win yesterday was sitting down with my spouse and admitting I had a problem and that I was committing to permanently giving up alcohol. It went really well, and I received a lot of support.

I wish all the best to each of you today.

360shoes 03-02-2014 09:31 AM

Welcome Lance!
It was a happy day for me when I looked at alcohol and saw it for what it really was. A stupid liquid that quite frankly offers nothing. Not saying I had that realization on day 1 but it wasn't too far off in the distant future.

One of the earliest gifts I received from quitting was I woke up not hating myself. If that's all I got out of quiting heck that was pretty darn good. If I had a hard day and the old brain was telling me I needed deserved f it have a drink I would remind myself of all the fun I would get to wake up to. I knew that what I decide to do today sets the stage of what I'm dealing with tomorrow. Life's complicated enough. I sure as heck don't need to start the day feeling like a pos. Talk about stacking the cards against myself. Pretty sure you won't find any books on success that says start your day off in the worst possible mind frame.

Might as well start the day on the best foot I got at the time. Let life throw at me what it has. I'll worry about that when it comes. So in the beginning, I didn't just do the one day at a time, I did the 2 day at a time. Today is now. It matters what I do. What I do today sets in motion what I get to start with tomorrow.

I'm done with starting my day with feelings of self loathing and letting myself down. That's alcohols gift. It can keep it. It can knock but I ain't answering the door. It can go sell destruction somewhere else. I'm not interested. It can go sell crazy somewhere else. I have important stuff to work on...me and the people in my life who care about me.

Awesome job! You can do it!

FourSeasons 03-02-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lance40 (Post 4502339)
I miss having a great night's sleep and waking up bright and early feeling well rested and excited to get on with the day.

Welcome, Lance. I very much relate to this statement. The end result of alcohol consumption is always the same for me. It just is not worth it... Sobriety really is so much better!!

AuntieSoso 03-02-2014 09:45 AM

Welcome, Lance! I'm so happy you have a spouse who is supportive of you on your journey - that will help a lot.

Like you, I had a problem with moderation, and find it best to just not even go there. And like, you, sleep became a big problem. I LOVE sleep and cannot tell you how wonderful it is to sleep well and throughout the night and wake up refreshed and not disappointed in myself.

You'll find a lot of support here!