Notices

What are my options??

Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are my options??

I was doing well. Actually had 6 weeks sober and feeling good about not lying, hiding bottles or wasting money. Then decided one day to just drink. Nothing triggered it other than wanting to be drunk. One time turned into daily drinking for two weeks. Back to my old self of hiding bottles and eating hundreds of mints to hide the smell. I want to stop. I need to stop. Just don't know how to stay stopped. AA isn't an option for me, not the spiritual type. This forum has been great but only if I use it which I don't when I'm in my drinking moods. So what are my choices and options? Meds? Therapy? Wait to hit rock bottom? Wait out the eventual health issues? Please help. Thanks all.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Have you looked into in or out patient rehab? I'm in outpatient right now and really enjoy it. I'm also an atheist who gets a lot out of AA.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Perhaps you could see your doctor and figure out some support options. The hiding bottles and mints bit was like reading about my former self xxxxxx
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a section for secular 12-step and other secular options on the board...I am sure those types of groups exist in "real life" too. Might be something you could look into.

The only way to stay stopped is to not drink. Otherwise, something will inevitably happen, whether its what you intended or not. That might be a bad situation, a craptastic feeling, a health problem, whatever. For example, the other night I decided to go out with a friend...I didn't intend to get drunk, I just wanted to be "normal" (ha) and "socially drink". I started to sip one beer after being sober for 9 days. That one beer started to feel good, so I had another, and then another. After 3 I had been feeling it, and starting to feel the effects of being drunk. Being drunk itself felt good, the buzz feels good, but the other things I started doing and feeling along with that did not feel good, in the moment or after. It led to all the stuff I hate about being drunk...binge eating, self hate, self injury, going to bed feeling like crap, oversleeping and a hangover the next day...it all sucked.

I read an article that talked about when we don't like/want to make decisions, feel uncomfortable in making them, or are not confident in them, we chalk it up to "fate" to determine the outcome. Do you really want to wait until "fate" comes around and could deal you a crappy hand?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Here is a partial list of some of the better known programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

For Rational Recovery and other non 12 step programmes check out our Secular Connections forum

Best of Luck on Your Journey!

Last edited by Dee74; 03-01-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm also 100% against meds to fix anything or anyone. We live in a society of quick-fix mentalities and IMO meds are just a temporary fix for an underlying problem, especially as they relate to addictions. I preach not turning to meds unless you biologically/biochemically need them to function/survive. Life and therapy (whether with a professional, group, or some soul searching) are the best teachers and "fixers".
Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Mightyflea --

Your story sounds like mine. I made it to a year sober with SR and AA. For the first 10 months I did everything suggested in AA. Then I decided the program wasn't for me, and distanced myself somewhat, though I kept going to meetings and retained some relationships. I don't think that was a bad decision. But it's true that I relapsed after a year for 3 weeks.

I then saw a social worker, who thought I should see a psychiatrist, who put me on medication. For me, it's making a difference. With a year of sobriety, I was still mentally obsessed with thoughts of drinking, and that obsessiveness is now lifted. I'm not recommending meds, just telling my story.

I also post daily to SR, including two regular classes and a gratitude list, go to at least 2 AA meetings a week, and talk to my former sponsor every day.

I don't think my "program" has a name. It does seem to be working. All I can say is, if you really want to quit drinking, do whatever it takes and seek help from others. You can find recovery, but it takes daily work!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Is AA not an option for you because you have tried it or because you think you won't like it?

I'm not specifically advocating for or against AA, but we too often dismiss possible solutions mainly out of fear or lack of information. You have a lot of options, but none of them will be easy and all will include sacrifices by you if you truly want to get sober. It's hard work, but it is worth it. Look at your options if you kept drinking of you need a reminder why.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Having a recovery plan to put into action is a great start. And there plenty of plans to choose from: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Or make a plan of your own. Having accountability is something you may want to practice more. Like posting more.

As for AA, you do not say or do anything you don't want in an AA meeting. Maybe just sit an observe the AA meeting. I'm secular in nature and AA works fine for me.

Keep in addiction recovery no matter what, you can stop drinking for good.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

At the end of the day I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk. That is the only way I could quit.

I do several different programs as there is not one program out there that I agree with 100%. I really had to open my mind when I sobered up. Believe me, if I would have had to go to these programs in order to get my booze, I would have gone. No questions asked.

I had to get to the point of being willing to do anything to hold on to my sobriety.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

You kinda answered your own question. You have all of those options available. You might pick one or two and try them.

The last plan didn't quite work out so choose a different and better one, or build on the last plan. The main thing is that you keep trying until all of the pieces fall into place.

Sometimes, we have to be a little uncomfortable, just for a bit, to find out that it leads to something great. I know I never had a really good reason to drink, they were always excuses and I was full of them. Find a way to prepare yourself for the moment that the desire strikes because you already know that it will come.

Best of luck and take that 6 weeks back MightyFlea!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MightyFlea21 View Post
I was doing well. Actually had 6 weeks sober and feeling good about not lying, hiding bottles or wasting money. Then decided one day to just drink. Nothing triggered it other than wanting to be drunk. One time turned into daily drinking for two weeks. Back to my old self of hiding bottles and eating hundreds of mints to hide the smell. I want to stop. I need to stop. Just don't know how to stay stopped. AA isn't an option for me, not the spiritual type. This forum has been great but only if I use it which I don't when I'm in my drinking moods. So what are my choices and options? Meds? Therapy? Wait to hit rock bottom? Wait out the eventual health issues? Please help. Thanks all.
Pain in the touchstone to change. When there is enough pain, you will hopefully change. I am tempted to say something about Deep down in every man, woman and child there is a fundamental idea of a Higher Power. But we like to lie to ourselves, I understand.

Well the only options I know of are.
A) Continue on, drinking, changing drinks, changing locations, changing.................times, companions, jobs, spouses, to the bitter end, knowing that I am going to die an alcoholic death.

OR

B) Do I accept help, any kind of help. Then am I willing to do everything that is said and outlined and required.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Nothing changes if nothing changes!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SeaScape

I'm new and all I can say is it is taking my daily diligence to stay sober...thank you for sharing. Keep trying for your long term health and happiness. I fear that if I am not diligent I too will just go and casually grab a beer.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope we can help you find a way to stay sober.