SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   3 months sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/324364-3-months-sober.html)

cusper 02-28-2014 10:21 AM

3 months sober

Ok, I am not a religious person per se, but I really feel like I have been giving a second chance at life. I really and I mean REALLY look at life differently since I have begun this journey into sobriety. I know that journey is a bit of a cliche word but it works. What I thought of being the end of drinking and didn't know that it was the beginning of living. Now I am actually making plans.

Finally the PAWS symptoms seem to be letting up or gone for the time being. I have felt really good for the last 2 weeks. That being said I have made some major changes in diet. I've gotten to the point where I don't think there is anything else to give up. I've given up caffeine, refined sugars, wheat, dairy a month ago as well. I guess my new addiction is now gum. Always gotta have an addiction. Now I know everyone says not to give too much up at the same time. However my paws symptoms felt pretty severe that I was willing to try anything to be healthy. It really has paid off. I've also started exercising which is great release for this crazy frustration I can feel. Exercising has been a great outlet... strangely enough so is having new music to go with it. As if I am forming new feelings and thoughts just by having new music and doing new things that are good for me.

I still don't crave alcohol. I have about a million memories that remind me of just how low I managed to get. I always have this fear at the back of my mind that somehow I will stop investing in myself someday. I don't think I will ever drink again but I do little things everyday to remind me never to even entertain the idea of alcohol again. I come on SR, I watch youtube documentaries, I watch random episodes of Intervention, I read about celebs
who have gone sober... anything I can get my hands on.

One thing I really have realized is that being an alcoholic really stunted my emotional/spiritual growth. I may be 38 but my maturity level is nowhere near that. I think that honesty has to be a big one. Now I am realizing that some of the things that come out of my mouth are just not true, or true for me anymore. I guess that is the new quest is to find the truth and to be honest with myself and others.

It's been a bit rocky these last few months of recovery. I feel really greatful to be here. Thank you SR for your existence. Also a big thank you from everyone on here for your posts and suggestions!

alphaomega 02-28-2014 10:25 AM

Atta girl ! Nice work.

Nonsensical 02-28-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by cusper (Post 4500238)
What I thought of being the end of drinking and didn't know that it was the beginning of living.

Perfectly said. Most of us go into this with the mindset that we're giving something up (drinking). In reality we are gaining something indescribably better (freedom).

Keep on going! :ring

HeadLump 02-28-2014 10:54 AM

3 months is fabulous! Well done you! :You_Rock_

least 02-28-2014 10:58 AM

Congrats on three months sober! :c011:

FeenixxRising 02-28-2014 11:43 AM

Well done cusper. Keep at it. It sounds like you're making man positive changes.

Mek2 02-28-2014 11:59 AM

Keep going! 3 month is awesome!

KateL 02-28-2014 12:04 PM

:You_Rock_ xxxx

Dee74 02-28-2014 01:51 PM

I really felt like it was a second chance too Cusper - I still feel that way :)

congrats on 3 months :c014: