Notices

Day 2

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi all. So glad I found this forum. I am at day 2 today and am just focusing on the next 24 hours. When I focus on how long I am sober, my negative thoughts start up...never had more than a year. Tried to stop hundreds of time to no avail. yadda yadda yadda. I am not going there.

Today I feel really good. Curious how many others have not had withdrawals. I am 47 and have been drinking very heavily the majority of my life (2-3 bottles wine a night), but days 2-14 always seem so good to me. I have never had physical withdrawals. I am very glad - but surprised. After 2 weeks I tend to get into a depression. I am just trying to make sense of all this.

My highs have always been very high and lows very low. What patterns have you all found in early sobriety with highs and lows?

Right now I am feeling very grateful that sobriety is an option for me. So many other situations in life don't allow us to have options.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

With regard to withdrawls, I think my first week I had insomnia because I used alcohol to help me fall asleep (but then of course I'd always wake up in the night and be awake for hours). Other than that, though, I didn't have any problems.

I'm a very even-keeled person and don't have highs and lows, really, so I wouldn't say I feel any different in that matter. I am just as much of a misanthrope as I always was. But I will say that my connection to my HP has strengthened, for lack of a better way of putting it. Because I'm not drunk at night I now have more time for my spiritual studies, and I enjoy that very much.

Best to you!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ups and downs are a normal part of early recovery. Give yourself more sober time to feel better. It will get better.