Notices

Da! Winning! Weekend thread feb 28 - mar 3!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

What a lovely, wonderful share, Hope.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Very cool and inspiring Hope. Thanks. Sounds like a special moment.
Thanks Weasel and Olive... I will never forget that night! It was totally inspiring to be there with all those long time members. To be able to speak in front of so many people w/o stumbling over my words, proves to me that my higher power was right there with me.

I would like to encourage any of you who are skeptical about attending an AA meeting, to just go to one. Check your local schedule and go to a chip meeting. Pick up your 24 HR chip or your 1 month chip and stick it in the change pocket of your jeans. It is a very POWERFUL object and just may help stop you from picking up that first drink.

Stay Sober 'ONE DAY AT A TIME', it works!
Old 03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I don't frequent meetings much anymore, every once in a while I will get to one. But I have a jar full of coins that I am so very proud of and mean the world to me.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by BrentSC View Post
I think the toughest part will be the first few months until the feelings of restlessness and boredom go away and I begin to appreciate other activities and hobbies.
You might also want to check out 'Adult ADHD'. Only took me 50 years to figure out I have a touch of it. Not saying you do, but might be worth having a look. Learning how (and why) my mind is doing what it's doing has been very helpful to me.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I have a touch of that too Adult ADHD, Non, what did you read that was helpful, if you don't mind sharing? Do you take meds. I've taken meds, not now, they kind of help but are not w/o side effects. I'm seeing my doc in a couple weeks (new) and I need to talk to him.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

No meds yet, but I haven't ruled them out. I've only been aware of it for about 6 weeks, so I want to try managing it (without alcohol) for a while and see how it goes. So far, so good.

I don't remember what I read, sorry to say. Just some basic stuff about it on the internet, with tips on how to manage with it. Exercise, nutrition, organization - the basics.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

My husband drilled a hole in my first thirty day coin and put it on my key ring. It was a good reminder and it didn't get mixed up in all my change. Although, it didn't remind me of where those keys were...I misplaced that set somewhere.

Thanks for the share Hope. Very Inspiring.

Time for bed for me. Too late again. We are on the second to last chapter of Harry potter and the goblet of fire. Exciting stuff but sad since I know what is coming. I am getting up at seven, jumping into the shower and picking up a friend for the 8 a.m. meeting. Will be cutting it close.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Happy Sober Sunday!

Slept well last night. Today is going to be mostly a repeat of yesterday; bacon, bike ride, and studying.

Living sober - so much better than hiding drunk.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday! Woo hoo. Imagine the possibilities. Wishing everyone a good day.
I had a drinking dream last night.. so relieved to wake up knowing it was only a dream.
I can attribute it personally as a direct result from my intake of sugar Saturday evening.
I read 'Under The Influence' last weekend and feel that I have a hypoglycemic issue. I have been on a restricted diet all week and have had no cravings or drinking dreams. I ate 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter last night before bed only to end up dreaming of drinking.
Anyway, today is looking awesome. I'm so happy to really be sober today.
Have a great day everyone.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Go for gold Sophie!

Non actually slept.... Hmmmm... How does a ball of energy like a non ever lay still?

Already walked ran 3 miles. That's a lot for me.

Ready for a day I have no idea how will end. Oh yes I do, sober. But what to do what to do?

K
Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Sober Weekenders!!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Just finished washing my car, now settling down to watch some of the football with a large pot of Green Tea!!

Happy Sober Sunday Weekenders!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Made it through the second weekend sober. Sunday was typically my recovery day, so the temptation is much lower.

Yesterday was tough. I started to obsess over what it's going to be like to live the rest of my life without alcohol. But, I forced myself to get out of the house and ended up having a fun night without drinking. I did end up at a bar, but I did not feel any temptation. It's been said many times on here, but it's always surprising to see how many people actually drink very little at bars. I always went to bars to get extremely drunk and just assumed everyone else was doing the same. It's also eye-opening to see how pathetic the people look who can't control their drinking.

Although it actually reinforced my decision to quit drinking, I want to avoid bars in the future just because I know the temptation will creep up on me to have "just one".
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Brent, good for you!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Nice job Brent!

Everyone's sober Saturdays and Sunday stories give me ideas to emulate, and also show how satisfying the sober life can be.

Today has been a full day and it's only 12:50 pm. I woke early, went to my son's hockey game, came home and made two pizza quiches, read and posted on SR, and soon I'll be off to the mall to meet up with a young person with a physical disability whom I mentor. I am happy because even after doing all that, I'll STILL have time to relax, cook a roast beef dinner, and settle in for tea and pleasure reading. I am grateful for the extra time to do the things I enjoy that sobriety affords me.

Thanks for sharing your weekends with me. The sober connections on SR have been life changing for me. All across this site, y'all are some of the kindest, wisest, most supportive and understanding people I've ever come across online.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Meatloaf! Mashed taters!

YUM
Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Ken-that does sound yum!

It is raining, but a quiet rain this time. So grateful to have the rain.

Maybe I'll help out in the rose garden at church tomorrow. It's supposed to be really nice out. I'm really feeling for those in the midwest and back east. It looks like another storm is coming your way. Hope it's more mild than it has been.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Meatloaf! That sounds so good! Nice choice not much going on today. Raining here too. Hanging out relaxing. Hope everyone is enjoying the rest of their weekend.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yesterday I made paprika chicken thighs in tomato. I don't know what it is about the ceramic, cast iron, casserole cook in the oven pot I got for a present, but that thing makes everything taste amazing. And the chicken is moist and tender enough for my sore, brace covered teeth to actually chew.

Just got my monthly hair cut and I am now at home with a fire in the fireplace, rain outside and watching television while I paint. I will probably check out the Oscars later, although I do believe the new season of Bates Motel starts tonight as well.

I hope everyone is staying warm and sober!

Old 03-02-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Well... I started feeling bad about noon. Stomach. And then after a nap getting up it is all over. I am getting something. So early in...

Heading to bed to watch the film independent spirit awards. Funny people.

Be well weekenders.

Sunday always trails off. Some make it don't.

Stick with it. Don't hide. This is beatable!

Ken