Notices

Da! Winning! Weekend thread feb 28 - mar 3!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders. I am up early. It's been finally raining here for a couple of days. We're hoping to squeeze another day or two out of the storms, it's desperately needed. It feels like football weather. I remember when I had horses being out in the mud and storms feeding and caring for them. Who would have ever thought those would be fun memories? LOL. Hoping for a mellow, sober Sat. Might be in the mood to cook something. I'll see what you all have on the stove today.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Early morning starting off with drinking coffee and then off to my son's Robotics competition. It's wonderful being sober and able to enjoy hangover free...this will be my second year attending sober. It will also be good to get my mind off this cold VT weather!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am up again! I was able to grab a few more winks and that will make a difference in my attitude today.

Bacon, Bills, and Studying today!

James has nine important clients in town and he wants to make their stay enjoyable. Tickets for the game are $25 each, but he splurges, spending $2,000 on a private box with 15 seats and food and beverage service. James and his 9 clients discuss business before, during, and after the
game. They also consume $455 worth of food and drinks. James is not reimbursed by his company for any of these expenses. How much of the
cost of the evening's entertainment can James claim as a business expense and exclude from his taxable income?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Non.... Come on man get with it!

The answer is C

The answer is always C.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

$455 that's a lot of bacon ….

m
Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm checking in on Saturday morning! Happy sober Saturday, everyone!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I am in for this weekend too!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Checking in at 2 weeks. I woke up and realized that I really have nothing to look forward to over the next two days. I grew so accustomed to hanging out with friends at bars or going out with girls to have drinks that everything else seems boring. Much of that appeal was due to the alcohol.

I tried to plan a few sober activities but none of them seem interesting and it will be a struggle to force myself to do them. During the work week, I feel good, but the weekends are the cause for my relapses. I get into a rut where I sit at home every weekend and just look forward to Monday.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The answer to that tax question is $415

You can only write-off the cost of tickets,not a private box upgrade. However, since the box had 15 seats, James can write off 15 tickets, even though only 10 people (9 clients and James) attended. All of the $455 for food and beverage can be included. Only 50% of the allowables are deductible. So:

[(15 X $25) + $455] X 50% = $415

Now can you see why I am sick of this crap?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy sober Saturday, all! Non, your tax question makes my head hurt, haha.

Today it is warm and sunny and I'll send some cyber vibes to all of you who are still challenged with cold, dreary weather. That's one perk of living in the southern U.S...of course, I'll be the one complaining about the heat and humidity come June.

I'm headed downtown in a bit to join some friends for Mardi Gras parades and tailgating. This is my first sober Mardi Gras and so far it's been fine. Not a huge fan of crowds or loud noises, and quite honestly, I'd rather stay home and read, but have been pushing myself to be more social these days.

Ruby, I did not find your bathroom description boring it all. Brings back memories of my grandmother's house. She used to let us take bubble baths in her pink bathtub! She also had a small bathroom in the hall with just a sink and a toilet. There was a fluffy pink toilet cover seat and it was called 'the powder room'.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Someone asked me today how do I not drink?

I was kind of surprised at the first thing I could think of to say.

"Easy.... Once I drink I can't take it back"

Hmmm... The loss has become greater than the gain.

Happy sober Saturday!

K
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by BrentSC View Post
Checking in at 2 weeks. I woke up and realized that I really have nothing to look forward to over the next two days. I grew so accustomed to hanging out with friends at bars or going out with girls to have drinks that everything else seems boring. Much of that appeal was due to the alcohol.

I tried to plan a few sober activities but none of them seem interesting and it will be a struggle to force myself to do them. During the work week, I feel good, but the weekends are the cause for my relapses. I get into a rut where I sit at home every weekend and just look forward to Monday.

Hey Brent ,
Sometime we got to fake it to make it . For me i was happy sitting in my hole , but i tend to be happier in my sobriety if i don't dwell there and i try to get out and do some things i'd have never seen or done if i'd have been propping up a bar or sat in bed at home getting drunk . There is a whole world of interesting and fun things to do out there but they require some effort to engage with , where as alcohol is a mainly passive activity with things going on inside your head and not outside of us .

Keep on the sober path, it's worth it ( i wouldn't be sober otherwise ) , my life is a lot more comfortable and fun sober , it requires a bit of effort though .

Keep on ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Non, your tax question makes my head hurt, haha.
Right? Eat some bacon, it makes everything better.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by BrentSC View Post
I tried to plan a few sober activities but none of them seem interesting and it will be a struggle to force myself to do them.
Google "anhedonia and addiction"

Hang tough, Buddy, it gets better!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Good to see everyone on here today. Been deep cleaning and may need to borrow earth moving equipment. Any bored people out there can come over and wash floors and walls! Anyone who is warm and has rain I'm feeling resentment. Cold. Gray. Lots of snow still on the ground.

Kadidee, I could go over the top with a pink fluffy seat cover but it might be too much. I can just picture your grandma's bathroom. My Grandma's sister had the pink bathroom. The walls.

I am running out of steam but it has to get done. I can never just relax on the weekend because I am looking at all the mess. And now son is demanding a hamburger. I don't have ground beef so he is out of luck. Ham or peanut butter. I do need to go shopping.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

And Brent, Nonsensicals suggestion to check out anhedonia and addiction is a good one. I think we have all been there. I had a tough time on weekends with the same and found that no matter how painful it seemed, I had to push myself.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Great to read all your stories. Saturday night here and of course something is pulling me towards the pub. But I did an AA meeting at 6pm, met a few friends there, came home and cooked up a lovely healthy supper. Think I'll have an early night and read a magazine. It's great to be confident I will get up sober tomorrow and be alert for church in the morning, where I shall see all my friends.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Google "anhedonia and addiction"

Hang tough, Buddy, it gets better!
Thanks, I did look that up recently after seeing it mentioned in another thread. I think the toughest part will be the first few months until the feelings of restlessness and boredom go away and I begin to appreciate other activities and hobbies.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hope4 tell us all about it! Heavy metal chip day!
OK... I will lay it out there for everyone to see. Thanks for your support!

85 people jammed into our little fellowship last night! 145 years of sobriety stood at the front of the room between 12 people with from 37 years down to me at 18 months. It was especially cool to stand next to my friend who got his 2 year chip and to have another friend present whom I hadn't seen in years. A FANTASTIC chairwoman spoke, who was the lady with 37 years and then they went to all the people who received chips and I was the last one to speak. I wasn't nervous this time and was able to speak to this large crowd without hesitation.

"My name is Hope and I am an alcoholic and an addict, and that is the first time I've said that last part. It was Dec 31st 2000 when I gave up a 1-2 gram a day cocaine habit, all on my own without help from anyone. At the same time I also gave up, amphetamines, quayludes and lsd because after all I still had alcohol and pot.... so I could get through OK. (crowd laughs). Well up until July 20th 2012 I kept drinking until a massive gout attack hit. Then one night while drinking with a couple friends, as I sat with my foot propped up and an ice bag on it, one of them said "why don't you just stop drinking?" just as I finished a beer. That night as I laid in bed, I came up with a long list of reasons to stop drinking and not one reason to continue. That was the last sip of alcohol to pass my lips. On Jan 2nd 2013 I stopped smoking pot and I am done with all of it. I am DETERMINED to remain clean and sober to honor my dearly departed mother, who passed in 2010 and my brother who committed suicide when I was 22. I know they are both here with us tonight and very proud of my efforts.

It was last friday when I walked into this room and that night, 12 people introduced themselves to me and made sure that I knew I was welcome. The love I felt in this room and feel here tonight, reassures me that this is where I belong. I am very glad that I have found this fellowship and I'm very happy to be here with you tonight".

I just wanted to share that with all of you because many of you have been such a HUGE part of my success.

May Peace and Happiness be with each one of you.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Very cool and inspiring Hope. Thanks. Sounds like a special moment.