Notices

Thoughts after 2 weeks

Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts after 2 weeks

After 30 years of daily drinking - 8 or 9 beers nightly - I started to feel the first twinges of health problems starting to rear their heads. Rather than destroy my health (which is much better than I have any right to expect, considering) I've decided to abstain for 100 days and re-assess my relationship with my old friend beer.

So today is 2 weeks and it's been going pretty well. Quality of sleep has been great. Certainly have some cravings - strongest from about 4:30 to 6 pm. I've scheduled my workouts or dog walks during that time and it's helped. I will say, just taking it (drinking) completely off the table has been easier than when I've tried to moderate. It's way too easy to play the justification/pseudo-celebration game when I tried to moderate. I also spent an inordinate amount of time looking forward to the weekend, and consequently would overindulge once the weekend arrived.

I still catch myself thinking about going out to a favorite bar and quickly remember I'm not doing that now. I'm also trying to avoid looking too far down the line and making up some perfect drinking scenario (warm summer evening, out on the deck with some good friends and a cooler...) I'm trying not to think about that stuff. But I just now made myself think about it...

Anyway, so far, so good. Best to all.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. My hubby's family just bought a beautiful vacation house with a deck that looks out over a tributary of the Chesapeak. When I saw the deck and the view, I thought, I cannot wait to sit out there and sip on a glass of wine and watch the sun set. I'm having trouble letting go of the idea of that experience. The truth is, I still have access to the best part of that experience, it's just that the drinker in me wants me to believe that I don't.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober! I'm glad things are going well for you.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marci23 View Post
I know what you mean. My hubby's family just bought a beautiful vacation house with a deck that looks out over a tributary of the Chesapeak. When I saw the deck and the view, I thought, I cannot wait to sit out there and sip on a glass of wine and watch the sun set. I'm having trouble letting go of the idea of that experience. The truth is, I still have access to the best part of that experience, it's just that the drinker in me wants me to believe that I don't.
I think what happens, in my case anyway, is that almost every fun social experience I've had over the past couple decades has been accompanied by alcohol. So I've made that association that alcohol and good times go together. The thing I'm realizing is that the alcohol doesn't cause the good times. Hopefully I can break that association in time.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
So I've made that association that alcohol and good times go together. The thing I'm realizing is that the alcohol doesn't cause the good times.
What turned the tide for me is making the association that alcohol and bad times go together. Associating feeling bad in the morning with alcohol was especially persuasive in my mind.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to curb those thoughts of the perfect drinking experience as well. You nailed it with the warm sunny afternoon of the deck with some buddies. Then I fast forward to the next morning after I drank waaay too much and feel like crap. Thanks for sharing!