Notices

Triggers

Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Randummy

Unhappy Triggers

Hey everyone,

I've been (un)fortunate enough to recover and deal with a few different things from mental health problems to self-harm, so it's good in a way because I know what my "triggers" are to send me spiraling. However, this whole sobriety thing is different and things are bothering me that never used to be such a big issue.

Specifically, I started a temp job yesterday and I work really hard and I've done the job before, so I know what I'm doing. However, I got some feedback yesterday just seconds before I finished for the day and it really annoyed me because there is no way I would've known it unless I'd developed psychic abilities (which I haven't) and since I was doing the job all day, perhaps someone could've brought it up sooner! I know, looking at the overall picture that it's not a big deal and that it isn't my fault, but it really made me feel angry and upset and I did want to drink, for sure.

Instead I became worried that I was going to hurt myself and so I went onto this self-injury chatroom. I got drawn into a conversation with someone for an hour who apparently wasn't just venting, but actually wanted a solution and yet when refused every single bit of advice and help. In the end I just left because I realised how worn down I was feeling emotionally and I wanted a drink even more. It was the most unhelpful hour of my life!

I just feel like an idiot for being over sensitive and for getting into that chatroom situation when I don't even usually go into them (I went into the chat on here the other day and people were lovely). I just feel like I've brought it upon myself.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know how to cope with situations that might seem minor to other people, but are huge to me and I can't get them out of my head. Going to the gym didn't get it out of me and I don't know what I can try as an alternative.

Sorry for rambling.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Work issues are a huge trigger for me as well. Going to the gym sounds like a great idea to help relieve some tension. I've also found writing in a journal to be helpful for me and yoga (if I can manage to get myself there). I also have a lot of teas including herbal teas. Lastly, meditation is helpful to calm yourself down... good luck
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Randummy

Originally Posted by bluepoppy View Post
Work issues are a huge trigger for me as well. Going to the gym sounds like a great idea to help relieve some tension. I've also found writing in a journal to be helpful for me and yoga (if I can manage to get myself there). I also have a lot of teas including herbal teas. Lastly, meditation is helpful to calm yourself down... good luck
Thanks Poppy. How do you deal with the initial freak-out? It takes about 45 minutes for me to get home from the temp job and I felt myself getting frustrated straight away!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It helped me to understand that in very early sobriety I was in a vulnerable and pretty fragile state of mind. It's hard because the rest of the world continues on while we are stumbling around feeling raw. Knowing that I had heightened sensitivity to everything and anticipating that it would be jarring and uncomfortable for a while helped me ride it out at first. Good for you for coming here and finding support, it helps to know that we aren't alone and to here that it does get better.

When you have the initial freak out just remind yourself that your entire system is doing double time on every level right now. Mentally, physically and emotionally you are in a new place. I used to tell myself this is the last day 5, 6, 7, etc. I will ever have to endure. But by coming here you helped the healthy part of you stand up to the addiction. No one in the real world may know it but you…..but you get an A++++ today for doing the most important job you have right now, staying sober! Well done!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Randummy

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
It helped me to understand that in very early sobriety I was in a vulnerable and pretty fragile state of mind. It's hard because the rest of the world continues on while we are stumbling around feeling raw. Knowing that I had heightened sensitivity to everything and anticipating that it would be jarring and uncomfortable for a while helped me ride it out at first. Good for you for coming here and finding support, it helps to know that we aren't alone and to here that it does get better.

When you have the initial freak out just remind yourself that your entire system is doing double time on every level right now. Mentally, physically and emotionally you are in a new place. I used to tell myself this is the last day 5, 6, 7, etc. I will ever have to endure. But by coming here you helped the healthy part of you stand up to the addiction. No one in the real world may know it but you…..but you get an A++++ today for doing the most important job you have right now, staying sober! Well done!
Thanks so much Jaynie, you are a true gift!