Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

6 Whole Months - What a long strange trip its been "and continues to be"

Notices

6 Whole Months - What a long strange trip its been "and continues to be"

Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months...I'm approaching the 6 month mark next Saturday. Last few days were difficult for me as well. Feels like I already slipped, minus the alcohol part. I'm going to have to check out those books you listed. I want to get back into the never drinking again mindset, rather than putting it off it day by day...
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations, jdooner. Well done.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The last two months have been more about awakening for me. Learning mindfulness and developing a toolset that was once foreign. De Mello talks about an eagle that falls into a chicken coup. He is raised by the chickens, walks like a chicken, cucks like a chicken. One day when he is old and tired he looks up on a blue sky day and sees this majestic eagle soaring effortlessly in the wind. The chicken-eagle says to himself I wish I was an eagle.

Wouldn't it be sad to spend your whole life asleep thinking you were a chicken eagle drinking to get through the morass of your life when you could be soaring?

I have spent much of my adult years on this earth reacting to preprogramed ideals that were not even my own. Looking at others that had "things" I wanted and emulating them bc I thought if I want what they "have" then I will be like them. Alcohol and drugs helped me because I could live the life of a sheep in wolfs clothing. I never valued my wealth bc I felt I never deserved it.

I would often find love in the arms of a stripper bc I related to her on a basic level and it would kill me when I dropped $10K in a night was high as a kite and she just wanted my money.

Alcohol and drugs repressed me and kept me down. Recovery is the process of becoming unchained, gaining your freedom by removing the illusions and ideals that keep you repeating the process that keeps you down. Addiction is a form of slavery.

Hungry Ghosts changed my perspective on life and why I am the way I am. Awareness, Power of Now, A New Earth, Mindfulness for Beginners have given me tools to build in the rubble of my self identity.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Way to go man congrats on 6 months! If you are looking for a great documentary to watch on addiction check out "Pleasure Unwoven"
Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

JD, congrats on six months. It's been thought provoking to share some of your experiences and watch your progress in the August class. Your hard work and willingness to share have been very helpful to me personally and I wish you continued success. Onward and upward!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations jdooner. Great to read what has helped you along the way.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Very many congratulations, jdooner, and a privilege to share your journey
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hey JD, congratulations on such a waterfall of accomplishments these last six months. You've made real differences in your life, and the life of others, which will give back to you forever and always. Damn straight what a long strange trip it thankfully is and will always be for those of us so fortunate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDdq9t_DHIY

I wish you all that is good and best in life, JD.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I would be lying is I said I did not think I could get here, deep down I have known I would (in moments) but there were some doubts along the way. In fact the past two days challenged me a bit to be honest. Sometimes things align and hit you out of the blue. The difference, however, is having the tools to make it through a difficult episode like I experienced yesterday vs. acting on my thoughts, as I know I am not my thoughts.

If I look back at the the greatest attributes, which have helped me I would say honesty, openness and willingness. These three pillars are a dynamic process and not static to my recovery. Yesterday at almost 6 months, I was texting a friend and needed to be reminded and be open to realizing I was lying to myself about my own disease/disorder/affliction. Because of this willingness to admit I was being dishonest with myself and open to changing my views once again and willing to pass up immediate gratification, I am able to wake this morning sober, alone in my bed - not an easy feat.

The book that changed everything for me was Gabor Mate’s In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts. This made so much sense to me and has changed how I parent to boot. I then read A Million Little Pieces. Mindfulness for Beginners, Awareness, Power of Now, A New Earth, Blink, David and Goliath, Innovators Dilemma, My Friend Leonard, No Easy Day, Living Sober, The Big Book, have all played a role in my recovery.

SR has played a tremendous role, perhaps more for the relationships I have developed with people I may never meet but know me better than some I see daily. A unique paradox of sorts to be able to share inmate details in the safety of modern technology that face to face relationships limit.

AA has played a key role, particularly early on and the steps, as well as therapy. The combination of AA, therapy, SR coupled with an openness to tear down all of my previous ideals and wake to a new construct I credit to my recovery.

I know I have changed and moved mountains. But I don’t feel radically different, I feel free. Freedom from my own shackles that burdened me for so long.

I am grateful to those that have helped provide wisdom and guidance and those that have challenged my ideals…I guess next stop is 1 year:-)
Inspirational, I am currently just a few days into my attempt at sobriety, I hope that one day I can make the same clam you have. Good work!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nice job jdooner. And thank you for the inspiration.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Inspirational JD, Congrats xxxx