Notices

at my wits end

Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Alcoholism sucks.

I'm early in sobriety and don't have any advice. I just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Perhaps you are repeating this pattern because you are a straight up alcoholic. Can you have just one normal size drink and leave it alone? I could never do that. I drank to change the way I feel. I believed the lie that it would be different this time. It never is, but we tell ourselves that everytime we pick up that drink. And drink to oblivion it is, everytime. I have had unexplained bruises all over my body, black eyes, my knuckles bled from blackout fights. Who knows who won. I have had unexplained dents in my sports car. I am an alcoholic, this stuff is normal to me when I am drinking.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by rmbrndt View Post
I'm pretty scared about the physical damage I've done. What are the stages you mention? I'm planning on AA before the week is over. I've always been convinced I didn't need it but that was just a way to keep lying to myself.
Hi, Google 'stages of alcoholism' and you'll get some good information. It also gives you plenty of incentive to stop - the idea of being stage 3 is not a pretty picture.
It might be just my personality, but the more I informed myself the easier it was to make the decision.
Re your doctor's visit. I've seen lots of posts from people who've damaged their livers, but luckily the liver is really good at healing and their levels have returned to normal in time. I personally found telling my doctor made it much more real although it took about a month for me to build up the willpower to stop. After that he would praise me every time he saw me and I loved that!
It can be hard to be truthful with a doctor, but do try. Write it on a slip of paper if you need to. That step of seeking help can make a big difference.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hope you decide to quit

best of luck, hope you feel better soon

v
Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi rmbrndt - welcome

to stop repeating the pattern I had to do something different.

Coming is a great start - try and use us at least every say - reading and posting.

Join the Class Of February support thread if you like.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

There's also real life support like AA and I'm sure you'll find that beneficial too
Start your new life as soon as you can - you need never feel this way again.

The main thing - whatever you decide to do - is do something. Follow through.

In my experience, doing the same old things just leads to more drinking....

D
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. I hope something works for you this time. Like many others it took me umpteen attempts. Good luck xxxx
Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good on you rmbrndt and good luck ahead! Here is a list of the generally accepted stages of alcoholism. My turnaround came by accepting that I am an alcoholic, seeing a doctor, and seeking help (including here on SR). I was in the last, desperate stage of alcoholism and it was the beginning of a transformation that changed my life. I hope the same happens to you!

Stages of Alcoholism – 1, 2, 3, 4 Alcoholism Stages You Should Know
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

May I suggest AA today rather than sometime this week? Its great to get action going while that disgust feeling is fresh. It tends to fade, ya know?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Longpasttime View Post
Its great to get action going while that disgust feeling is fresh. It tends to fade, ya know?
Yeah this is true. A few days later it's so easy to find yourself believing you don't have a problem. I can't go to a meeting today due to my situation but I'm showing up here, which is a big step for me.