Notices

Need advice

Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice

Is AA anything like Al-non? I've tried Al-non a few times and didn't really like it. There is a church near by me that holds Celebrate Recovery meetings but only on Friday, so I've been thinking about trying that. I might try AA tonight to fill in my time. So far my plan for today after work is run, cook, maybe AA.....

Another issue is we had unexpected guests show up a week ago. They don't have anywhere to go. It's added stress to my husband and I as we can cannot afford to feed and shelter them. But they also constantly ask us if we can get pills or weed. We have kids, so this is not good. My husband flew off the handle yesterday at them for asking and is going to tell them they need to find a place to live, hopefully by this weekend. Any advice on how to deal with this issue as well until they leave?

Also, I am having to deal with my husband who is an addict and has anger issues. He's been lying to me about people he's been hanging out with and hides things. I've tried to separate so we can figure things out, but he won't. I'm just a mess.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Al-Anon is for friends and family members of alcoholics and addicts. Alcoholics Anonymous is for the alcoholics themselves.

I know that Al-Anon prefers you keep your own addiction to yourself, and focus on yourself as being a codependent to someone else with alcoholism and/or addiction problems.

AA is instead about focusing on you, as an alcoholic.

I personally am in AA, but sometimes we have an Al-Anon come to a meeting or two for support, and many AAs will go to Al-Anon for support as well.

Does this answer your question?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know. But I hope you get those people out of your house soon. That's not a good situation ya all. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a number of issues going on: relationship problems with husband, stress from your guests, substance abuse issues all around, and the responsibility of parenting. AA isn't going to "fix" all that but it really can't hurt to give it a try. I would say if you can truly approach AA with an open mind rather than trying to find what's wrong with it, you may find something to at least help you right now. Substance abuse makes everything harder to sort out in our lives - it never helps. Is it possible for you to find some professional counseling to help sort out the other family problems? God bless.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes professional counseling would be good. I need to do dome research to find one and costs. Thanks for the suggestion, I always think about it but never follow thru. I am going to do that on my lunch break. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd tell those people to leave pronto. Then you can deal with your husband. AlAnon or NarAnon would be good for you.