Notices

Day 1, again.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1, again.

This is my first time posting, but I really enjoyed reading the other posts and feel that maybe having some additional accountability might keep me on the straight. My boyfriend sent me the link and I didn't really think that I would gain anything, but wow, there are people who are dealing with the same issues I am (who would have thought). I have been drinking excessively for the last 3 or so years and have been with my boyfriend for almost two. Since September, I have been trying and failing to quit. I always make excuses of why it's ok this time and then it turns into a five day binge. Once the binge is over, I hate myself. I have wasted so many days of my life that I can never get back. My boyfriend pretty much gave me an ultimatum today and it should make me want to quit, right? I love him more than anything, but when I feel that I can't drink, I want to that much more. I want help so bad. I don't want to be driven by this disease, but I don't know how to get a handle on things and deal with the cravings without always giving in. I could really use some words of advice and support. I have never taken a step like this and I am hoping trying something different will be a push in the right direction.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome aNeWLeAf

I think support can really make a difference...but you need to decide if you're doing this for you, or for your bf, I think.

Support will make it easier but it's still going to have it's rough moments...you really need to want to change your life to have success at staying sober.

Having said that, I think a lot of us are not really sure about quitting when we get here. Alcohol can have a really deep hold on us - but support can help us work it all out.

Read around and post as much as you need to

D
Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi aNeW,
Welcome!
I didn't really know what to do when I first got on here. I just knew what I was doing wasn't working. So I just told myself, actually promised myself, that I would do and try anything but no matter what I would not drink. I kept an open mind and I used the support that was so freely offered here. A lot.

It wasn't always easy I laid it all out here. The good, the bad, the ugly. I asked for help when I needed it. I listened and I shared. The farther I got away from alcohol and the more I got real with myself. The better it got.

Everyone has to find their own way but nobody says you have to do it alone.

Anyway. Welcome!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aNeWLeaf. You have taken a right step by opening the link , sent by your bf. You have landed at the right place. We all are living proof that how much this SR Forum can do for people like us. Keep reading and posting.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome aNeWleaf, glad you have joined xxx
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome NL,

Frustrating and baffling when you simultaneously know you should quit, but want a drink. I remember it all too well.

Keep reading here at SR and you'll find out why (spoiler alert - you're addicted to alcohol) and what you can do so that alcohol doesn't ruin everything.

Welcome to the fight of your life. Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome gorgeous it's one day atta time sweet so don't forget it u can do it
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi anewleaf, glad you have found us. For me the defining moment was when I knew I did not want to drink. Period. It was not easy, but each day it got better. The support here is awesome. I take it one day at a time, I will not drink today. That is far enough for me. I am loving being out of the control of alcohol. Do this for yourself. Hang in there, hang here with us. Together we can make it happen. Again, welcome. : Glad you joined us.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If u find it hard stick with people who don't drink like aa members
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you found us. There's lots of support here.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do this! I only wish I quit when I was younger (now 49)! You can't imagine how much richer and fuller your life will be without that nasty poison messing with your head
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ill give u one tip in early sobriety and that is to find aa meetings in ur area as I found this very usefull I'm also in early sobriety as I keep ******* up after 2 yrs sobriety so we are all here to be sober I wish u sober luck and also welcome u as a member of S R
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm here one day atta time also and I'm only living one day atta time by gods preference
Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I first posted on Sunday morning and I was so low. Here I am on Wed morning and I am so thankful this is my 4th sober day. Read the posts on here. It is amazing to know you are not alone. It helps! You can do it!!!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do it Leaf. Just go today. ONLY today. One day at a time. Forget about tomorrow, just stay sober for THIS day.

As for cravings, try anything with sugar in it, or, what I prefer, is something naturally sweet, like orange juice. If that isn't enough, nothing wrong with having some ice cream. It helps.

Glad you joined us!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck. We all know how truly difficult it is. Prayers.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of advice and prayers. WOW! I got on here to see if anyone had replied to me and it means so much to have ALL of your support. Day 2 and feeling good. I am going to my first AA meeting tonight and am a bit nervous. I am willing to try anything at this point and now I realize that I cant keep lying to myself that I can do it alone. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again and my support and prayers are with all of you.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Realising my life

You've come to the right place for support, Leaf. Let us help you
Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! Everyone here is awesome and supportive. We've all had similar experiences. Reading the posts, knowing that I'm not alone in this struggle has helped me immensely and I'm sure you'll find the same. Just keep coming back